Beca Towing rotors & brake recommendations - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Suspension & Braking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beca Towing rotors & brake recommendations

Hi All,
I do a fair amount of towing smaller loads 1500lbs or so. I recently put Centric rotors and Akebono brakes on my 07 and bedded them properly. With only 10k the pads are cutting into the rotors and need replacing. The stock lasted 40k. I need something beefy and would like to hear your recommendations! Of course stock is an option, but usually there are better options for the money after market. Thanks!!
kanecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Which grade of akebono pad did you install?

I would be surprised if there were many options for the Tribeca in the aftermarket, centric is pretty well regarded though. I have done a lot of towing with my Tribeca and the pads/rotors were never an issue. I had stock rotors with Hawk HPS pads, I just recently changed them out for Centric rotors and stock replacement pads from advance auto. IMO the Hawk pads were overkill for daily driving.

Since you seem to be having issues with stock replacements try knsbrakes.com they have an assortment of upgrades.
FLsubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would stay completely stock. Recently replaced with new stock rotors and pads after a shake while braking. Just took my trailer up and over the rockies, probably about 1200 lbs, brakes worked well and smooth. Do use the sport shift coming down hills. This makes the world of difference.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

so are the pads completely gone or are they just too harsh on the rotors?
i never had a problem with centric used them a few times on different family cars, not just subarus. I had akebono for the past 3 years with stock original rotors without any issues, iirc they were ceramic

i just recently (less than 2k miles) overhauled my brakes, I went with R1 Concept, they had a pretty good sale on ebay, main reason was to get zinc plated brakes so they wouldn't rust, from other online forums I think they also use centric blank rotors and then plate them, dunno how long they will last but they do stop better then my old stock rotors and akebono pads.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

The pads were Act1078. I am looking at either going back stock Subaru or possibly EBC Extra Duty Truck pads. The current pads are shot with next to nothing left on them.

I do recall the stock rotors that came off were much beefier than the Centrics going on.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

I do a lot of household construction. I am currently getting blocks and pavers with the trailer, and going an hour or so to pick them up. I try to stay around 1500 to 2000 lbs, and it is all highway driving for the most part. Did you get your parts through a Subaru dealer?
Old 06-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would recommend an online subaru retailer, personally, find the part numbers you need and punch them into google see who is cheapest. I think the stock rotors are much better than the centrics, having handled both the stockers with 10 years of wear were still beefier than the brand new replacements.

As for brake pads I really like the Hawk they were very good, a bit dusty but worked very well.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

The Akebono Brake pads are a top quality pad, and I sell them here at the shop.
Centic makes three grades of rotors, the white box cheapo's, the Premium ones the Premium Cryo treated ones ones, along with drilled or slotted cryo treated units.

Cheapos. 121.47027
Premium 120.47027
Premium Cryo 126.47027CRY
Premium Cryo slotted 126.47027CSL (Left)126.47027CSR (Right).

The 121's most times are not to factory requirements, they only conform to the DOT's outside dimensions. All of the other will be factory equivalent or better.

You might try a set of the Cryo treated ones, they will last longer. But unless you are going through allot of hills and mountains, I doubt you would need to get slotted.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

I did purchase the 12047028 their daily driver premium rotor (in 2015). Not sure how that cross references, but I think I will go for the Subaru stock rotors and maybe EBC Extra Duty pads for Suv's and Trucks. Any thoughts?
Old 06-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

You just can't go wrong with the factory rotors.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think I got my rotors from quirkparts but I'm not 100% on that. The shipping will kill you on those things, but I remember whoever sent them clearly had miscalculated their shipping cost and I took advantage of it. They are super thick. I just didn't have time to get the old ones turned, and it was still cheaper to order new and do it myself. Remember to get the 10 mm bolts to thread in to pop the rotor off the hub (I think 10 mm?)

I honestly don't think you will see a difference between stock and and aftermarket pad, other than more brake dust. If you don't feel safe with the stock pads, you might need trailer brakes. They sell all kinds, some that use the pressure at the ball to apply the brakes. I understand those are easy to install to the trailer, but I have no experience with that.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

subaruonlineparts.com has shipping for all four rotors at $42, $254 for the rotors.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

if your rotors only have 10k miles one them i would just keep using them, unless they need to be turned like grooving or somehow they are close to their service limit, just get new pads. Thats my opinion.
EBC truck ones are pretty expensive, I had ebc on my outback about 8 years ago and can't complain, had no squeaks or anything else out of ordinary.

Last edited by Dodik; 06-02-2017 at 05:04 AM.
Dodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

1. use silglyde grease (or something else high quality)
2. replace or remove the caliper slide bushings
3. change the fluid
4. replace the pad retaining clips.

then you'll get like new wear and performance from the brakes.

Subaru rotors last the life of the vehicle, fronts may vibrate when braking depending on driving style and conditions - resurface or replace those.

pads - the Subaru pads are really good. I've never had problems running ceramic aftermarkets.

if you're towing loads large enough to overheat and compromise brakes consistently then trailer brakes are probably the more important question, not which pads to use.

I tow huge loads (other Subaru's and large boat) up mountains.
idosubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

The stock pads last 70-80k in normal driving but they leave to be desired in extreme conditions.

I use Raybestos ATD pads on the front wheels. The tires are Nitto 420S. The car stops extremely well. Towed our 1000 lb trailer (loaded; it is composite) to Oregon and back last year. These are high quality pads. They make a bit of noise when cold.

I am even happier with the Hawk HPS 5.0 that I have on all wheels on the Outback. These are amazing pads. They have crazy op temps and yet are perfectly quiet and do not dust much. These are probably the best street-legal pads out there. They may need to be tapped a few times if starting in sub-zero temps.

Both cars use ATE Typ200 fluid.

After installing the Hawk 5.0 and the ATD, my use of low gears downhill has dwindled dramatically.

The Hawk 5.0 on the OB performed extraordinarily well when descending the steep Silverton area 4x4 trails.

It does not even cross my mind to go back to stock or similar pads. However, I see no reason to replace the rotors.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

I used Hawk HPS on my Forester and they were quite good in dry conditions, excellent brake performance overall. In the wet, they definitely needed to be given the opportunity to dry a bit (give them a couple of taps while moving after the car sits out in heavy rainfall) before they were effective. I had no problems with them in the cold.

2015 Dodge Charger AWD

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former Subarus:
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote