ABS Light - Page 2 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Suspension & Braking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #21 (permalink)

I used to get Cruise, traction, abs and ErSS in the odometer when it dropped below 40*F...like clockwork.
Thomasmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasmryan View Post
I used to get Cruise, traction, abs and ErSS in the odometer when it dropped below 40*F...like clockwork.
Yes, I get that sometimes too, but then after a while of driving it, it goes away. Or if I turn off/on the car a couple times at a stop light, it will go away.

I'm assuming that thing has something to do with this whole thing.

The mechanic did print me out a recall from back in 2008 regarding a "VDC G Sensor" (WVG-17). When I pull up my VIN in Subaru, it doesn't show my vehicle still having this outstanding. But it also doesn't say completed. Mechanic thought maybe this ABS thing could have something to do with it.
rbbakeriii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:10 AM   #23 (permalink)

ErSS is Speed Sensor. You can try cleaning the tips but the wire does go bad between the fender liner and the strut clip.

The gyro is for the dynamic control.
Thomasmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 06:02 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbakeriii View Post
Yes, I get that sometimes too, but then after a while of driving it, it goes away. Or if I turn off/on the car a couple times at a stop light, it will go away.

I'm assuming that thing has something to do with this whole thing.

The mechanic did print me out a recall from back in 2008 regarding a "VDC G Sensor" (WVG-17). When I pull up my VIN in Subaru, it doesn't show my vehicle still having this outstanding. But it also doesn't say completed. Mechanic thought maybe this ABS thing could have something to do with it.
From what I recall the sensor was installed backwards on some cars, and the recall was to face them the correct way. This wouldn't cause an issue with the abs, it would only affect the functionality of the vdc. Also the light show you get on the dash is pretty typical of Subaru's its the ecms way of making sure you notice a problem vs an innocuous and possibly overlooked simple MIL.
FLsubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:24 AM   #25 (permalink)

So my recall nightmare continues...

We took the car to another mechanic over the weekend for some peace of mind on the ABS light (see post above about what they said). So we took the car for about an hour long trip to a buddy's kid birthday on Sunday and while driving back, my wife noticed that the panels weren't clicked in correctly around the shifter. There was also a panel on driver side that we don't have a picture that wasn't clicked in either. As you will see, we now have 2 cracks where the panels meet the cup holders that looks like we caused by someone trying to jam the shifter panel back in?

We called the mechanic from the weekend and took it back to him for them to fix. They clicked the 2 panels in even though they claim they didn't touch those panels. They are not taking responsibility for the cracks at all. They said they only hooked up to CPU (which doesn't require panels to be moved) and looked near glove box for some ABS joint? They also said they took the wheels off to look at sensors.

I feel like they are lying (and I told them I thought that) since they sent me home with a bunch of literature on the 2008 recall where it clearly states to go under shifter panels to check on the stuff I posted above. They are saying the Subaru dealership probably did this during the recall stuff.

For the airbag recall, flood lights or hood latch, would the dealership move these panels at all? Who do you think caused it? I feel like this was pretty noticeable and we would of noticed it before if the dealership caused it (since we had car from Tuesday-Saturday from dealership before this mechanic).

I wish I never took the car in for these recalls...AHHHHHH
Old 05-22-2017, 06:34 AM   #26 (permalink)

i'd be pretty pissed if someone did this to my car, unfortunately since you don't know which shop it was actually caused by i doubt you can prove anything.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #27 (permalink)

And the saga continues...

Our Airbag light is now on solid -- Taking it back to dealer tomorrow -- I'm starting to wonder if shrapnel would of been less painful than dealing with this recall (joking)
Old 05-31-2017, 05:57 AM   #28 (permalink)

We dropped the car back off this AM with Subaru dealership- Airbag light has been on steady for last 3 days and ABS light is still on.

It was a bit awkward as we had the same service manager who we complained about for the first visit. He made my wife walk around the car and sign off on all scratches on exterior as if it was a rental car- made us feel like they think we are liars. Maybe this is standard procedure, but they didn't do it the time before.

I will keep you all updated on our recall from...
Old 05-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #29 (permalink)

Just spoke with the service guy and they are replacing the Passenger Seatbealt Sensor- They think this is throwing the Airbag and ABS lights on the car
Old 05-31-2017, 09:33 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
We dropped the car back off this AM with Subaru dealership- Airbag light has been on steady for last 3 days and ABS light is still on.

It was a bit awkward as we had the same service manager who we complained about for the first visit. He made my wife walk around the car and sign off on all scratches on exterior as if it was a rental car- made us feel like they think we are liars. Maybe this is standard procedure, but they didn't do it the time before.

I will keep you all updated on our recall from...
At the dealerships I worked at, this is a very common practice. In fact, it is to your benefit to do this with the service advisor when you drop off a vehicle for work, it stops any arguments. You should take pictures before and then take a walk around to make sure nothing has changed before you leave.
I had a transmission go out on my Harley, it took the dealership 2 weeks to get the parts, and when I went to pick it, we found a big scratch on my right saddlebag, thankfully we had that walk around when I dropped it off, they noted no damage on the saddle bag, so they repainted it for free.
It was cut and dry, so they took care of it, no need to yell here at all.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #31 (permalink)

So the dealership finally called me back today and said they installed the new seat belt assembly but it didn't fix the ABS Light or Airbag Light issue that my Tribeca is showing. So a week later, we are back to square 1...

I think I am going to call Subaru corporate today and see what they say about all this hassle -- This is a bit embarassing
Old 06-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #32 (permalink)

We received a VM from the "Dealership" this AM stating that now Subaru America has told them to replace the Instrument Cluster on our vehicle-- Yay, more stuff for them to break!
Old 06-13-2017, 09:07 AM   #33 (permalink)

I asked the dealership yesterday if the cracks in my plastic console were for them- They said no reason to be doing any work near there and that the airbag only requires the top plastic part of the dash to be removed.

So I called corporate and told the lady my story and was truthful about not knowing who actually caused it. They are going to look into the repair and call me back next week to let me know if there is anything they are willing to do to help me out. I thought that was pretty cool especially since I am the 2nd owner on the car.

I'll keep everyone posted on my ongoing airbag recall fiasco (not sure anyone is reading this thread though, heh)
Old 06-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #34 (permalink)
avk

To remove the instrument panel shell, you need access to the mounting fasteners and wire connections. This requires removal of the HVAC/audio control panel, which, in turn, requires removal (at least partial) of the console box.
avk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #35 (permalink)

I think the hvac controls only require removing the shifter surround which pops off, but it has been a while since I changed mine out.
FLsubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #36 (permalink)
avk

Yes, this is correct. Perhaps the damage seen in the photo was inflicted when trying to pry the silver panel covering the shifter.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
Yes, this is correct. Perhaps the damage seen in the photo was inflicted when trying to pry the silver panel covering the shifter.
This would of needed to be removed for the air bag recall?
Old 06-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
avk

Quote:
This would of needed to be removed for the air bag recall?
Yes, at least according to the factory manual, in order to gain access to the space behind the audio unit where some of the instrument panel fasteners are located.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Instrument Panel Assembly.pdf (95.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-14-2017, 03:11 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
Yes, at least according to the factory manual, in order to gain access to the space behind the audio unit where some of the instrument panel fasteners are located.
Wow, thank you! Yeah I just read the steps and to get to the passenger air bag, you are correct- they have to remove glove box, center console and audio unit. This should help in my quest to have them fix the cracks in console.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:12 AM   #40 (permalink)

Corporate offered me a $500 credit to go buy a new car, I told her LOL. Why would I want to buy a new car from a dealership who can't fix anything? I found this kind of a slap in the face since I had read online that others had been offered $100 service credits at dealership for the hassle of airbag recall. They could of just offered me that and put against the repair.

So it looks like I will have to contact dealership GM (or owner) to discuss some type of compensation for them breaking the console. I plan on asking my service advisor one more time if they touched console for airbag recall before going there to show them this printout you linked me to.

And for an update on the car, it will be 3 weeks tomorrow from when we dropped it off for showing ABS & Airbag lights. They replaced passenger seatbelt and now instrument cluster (and if I had to bet, I don't think either of these will fix it). I honestly think they need to replace the replaced airbag as that seemed to cause all of my issues.

So I have been without my Tribeca for 2 weeks during recall and now 3 more weeks for them trying to fix what they broke...