Dodik's 09 Tribeca

55K views 176 replies 32 participants last post by  nribs 
#1 ·
so figured i'd start my own thread.

09 Limited 7 passenger leather 65k miles

put new bearing in idler pulleys and washed the bay

See less See more
#5 ·
well i installed front 05 outback springs as time was scarce I didn't take any exact measurements of the drop, but its about and inch, ride quality didn't change in any noticeable way, just more refined leveled look.
in order to install outback springs you would also need outback upper spring perches, as the springs taper on the outback and not the tribeca.
You can not use 05 outback struts as the knuckle is thicker on the tribeca.

here some pics

#9 ·
good question... i guess what i'm saying is you'll likely get less life out of the stock struts with this set up than you would with stock springs. how much less i don't really know. an indicator is if you notice any fluid on the strut housing.

does it handle any tighter?

#10 ·
i hear what you saying about a possibility, so far i have taken pretty decent dips and bumps and have not bottomed struts out, to me this is a good indicator that they will work just fine for a DD.
Generally a stiffer spring will wear out a strut faster as there more rebound to control, then with a softer spring.
It doesn't quite feel any tighter but more of pointed in the right direction, because the spring is a bit softer it doesnt sway as much on making it possible to keep the speed.
I gotta change FSB bushings i think that will make it a bit better.

#11 ·
the beginning of something beautiful, at this point i ran out of electrodes and light, will continue on the next weekend, still needs two crossbraces and an aluminium cover. then i will start on the rear one. and the roof basket.

#16 ·
mpg i can't say yet as i only towed a trailer and put maybe 50 miles empty in the city.
Cornering is not really affected car feels the same, comfort wise taller side wall is a lot more forgiving. I drive on cobble paved block at work and it rattles a lot less.
wheels are 42 offset so math comes out to tires being only 3mm further out not really noticeable.
Here is a closer shot on the car.

#17 ·
MiddleAge Subie, I run 235/60R18 winters (Cooper Weather-Master WSC on stock rims). I actually prefer them over my 255/55R18 summers (Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S). I find the steering and handling both benefit, and possibly a slight improvement in mpg. But how much of that is the size and how much is the tire I cannot say. The Yokos are up for replacement next season, so maybe I will learn more then.

#19 ·
well if you go with a narrow rim and high offset that might make it less stable, as your track would be narrower but if you keep the track width or increase it 20mm in tire width would be just fine. Also the compound of tires plays a big role here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.