Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Vibration under low Acceleration

82K views 143 replies 47 participants last post by  MicBert 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Had my 08 w/DVD & NAV since January. For the last few months I've noticed a vibration when under low acceleration. Anywhere from 60-80 KM's or 35-50MPH If the acceleration is around 5-10% (on the display) the vehicle vibrates. Don't feel it in the steering wheel so I'm assuming it's in the backend (feel it throughout the vehicle though)

Feels similar to when a manual transmission is shifted into a higher gear too early. Was just at the dealer but did not bother asking, thought it better to check with my brothers and sisters here to get an idea before I pay for some inspection.

Let me know if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks.

#112 ·
What is the deal with these transmissions? My friend just trailered his 08 Tribeca down to me from his Oregon home because he can't get a straight answer from anyone in his home town of Roseburg, Oregon. He's had zero problems with his Tribeca since buying it new. At a 120,000 miles the takes it in for its second trans service, first was at 60,000 miles, and the minute he leaves the shop he has a torque converter shudder that no one can get rid of and can't explain why it developed after a trans service. He made them flush it the next day and that didn't fix it. I figure they put the wrong oil in it so I have done three services on it, driving it about 20 miles between each one and I have added a tube of Dr. Tranny's anti shudder to the first and third service. There is also a filter in the pan that know one has, not even the dealer. They only have the inline screw on one thats in the wheel well. It has been changed twice as well. Shudder is still there at 1600 rpm and at 40 to 43 mph at a low acceleration.

#113 ·
Check the axles, make sure they are OEM subaru. Green cup with indents on the inside near the tranny. This is THE most common cause for shudder under light load.

Are you using Subaru ATF-HP? That's the only official fluid, and the only thing I would use, but others use different fluid. You can get a full exchange by pulling the line at the transmission cooler (details here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...tml?t=197248&highlight=DIY+transmission+fluid)

I suspect axle, did he have that changed at the same time? Best way to tell if its the axle is to put it in manual shift mode and change gears but maintain speed. If the shudder doesn't go away, it's not related to the torque converter or transmission.

#114 · (Edited)
He has had nothing done to this car except routine service. Has OEM axles. This shudder did not occur until immediately after a trans service. At the rpm and speed that I mentioned if you give it just a little more throttle and it downshifts the shudder goes away. Its acts like the clutches in the torque converter are slipping and when it downshifts the torque converter clutch releases. After he had the first trans service and had this shudder occur he took it to another shop and had a flush done and it still shuddered. I'm starting to think the first shop put the wrong oil in it and damaged the torque converter and I'm going to have to install a torque converter in it. Oh and yes I am using only the recommended Subaru trans oil. The best discription of the shudder I can give is it is like driving over a cattle guard or a rumble strip at a slow speed.

#115 ·
"The best discription of the shudder I can give is it is like driving over a cattle guard or a rumble strip at a slow speed"

Just a comment - this is exactly how mine felt before I replaced the front axle. Please do look at the axles up front and make sure they both have green cups on the transmission side. If not, they have been replaced. Very usual for subaru axles boots to last 120k miles.

They should look like this:

#117 ·
Coincidences happen.

On the driving test, don't give more throttle, just push the gear selector over in to manual mode and downshift and see what happens.

Is it only happening during lock-up, before, after?

FreeSSM and a cable will let you see what the transmission is doing when you get the shutter.

#118 ·
I'm waiting to see if the local foreign auto parts store can locate the filter that is in the trans then I will put it back together and give it another test drive. It feels like it shudders after the converter is locked up. That is the only time it does it, at that speed of 40 to 43 mph and 1500 to 1600 rpm. Any rpm or speed out of that range and it won't shudder and the rpm and the speed have to both be in that range at the same time for it to do it. I've been a ASE auto tech for almost 40 years, working in several dealerships and out of my home for over 28 years and I've seen some weird stuff and some really strange coincidences but if this is axles it would be at the top of the list of coincidences.

#119 ·
"40 to 43 mph and 1500 to 1600 rpm" If this is 100% true, then it is the torque converter, but why wouldn't it shudder in other gears right after lockup?

The original issue with some torque converters on the 08:
Number: 16-74-09
Date: 03/18/09
Applicability:
2008~09MY Legacy/Outback 2.5L Turbo, 5AT and 3.0L, 5AT
2008~09MY Tribeca 3.6L, 5AT Subject:
5AT Torque Converter Shudder/Vibration Introduction
If you encounter a vehicle that has a shudder/vibration which could be felt in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear during slight acceleration, it may be caused by the transmission torque converter during lockup operation. A countermeasure was made to the final machining process of the sliding surface for the lock up clutch to provide more stabilization and eliminate the shudder/vibration.
Countermeasure in Production

#120 ·
I know its the weirdest thing and why wouldn't it shudder during the first 120,000 miles and only start after a trans service. Makes me suspect of the wrong trans fluid being installed. Well I also just got a call from the import auto parts store, the filter is only available with the 800 dollar valve body. Is that not the dumbest thing ever.

#121 ·
THere are two filters. One is inside the transmission, part of the valve body. This filter is very coarse, and you can just hose it off. There is another one up in the front drivers fender, spin on. There are some aftermarket options available, but most people agree that they aren't made right, just get the subaru one.

#123 ·
No I haven't check for any pending codes, the check engine light isn't on but I will check. I was stuck today waiting around for the phone company to fix our phone line. They don't show up until 2:30pm today. Blew the whole day waiting. Oh and it does have the Factory Subaru axles still in it.

#125 ·
Isn't that fun? I wish we could charge THEM for the time they make us waste!

I'm still stuck on why it would only shake for 1 gear and not all gears if it is the TC. Reset TCU learning #1 and go through the relearning process and see if it helps. You could also see how it drives in sport mode to see if there is a slight difference, and then manual shifts.

#127 ·
How long can I run the car with the shudder? I just had the dealer flush my transmission and transaxle fluid at 60K and now the shudder is getting worse in my 2008!

I wanted to keep this car for another year or three but don't want to dump even more money into it. If it gets worse with age it may be better for me to throw that Dr. Tranny into it and trade it in.

#128 ·
I have a 2008 Tribeca with 120k miles. Mine had the vibration and it was getting worse. I had aamco look at it and they ended up putting in the new torque converter and rebuilding the trsnsmission with some updated parts. Total cost was $2800 and the car runs perfectly. I didn't want to spend the money but I'm glad I did.

#129 ·
On our 2009 Tribeca, we ran into the shudder two years ago (2013). It started very mild, and we wondered what it was, maybe coming from the front end? It got worse and worse and it became obvious it was from the transmission. It got really bad, I was afraid the transmission would fail. We got the torque converter replaced under Subaru extended warranty (over 36K mi). The shudder came back in 7 days! Took it to the dealer, they couldn't replicate the problem (what???). It got worse yet, brought it in again and they did replicate the problem and replaced the torque converter and transmission both, fully covered under the extended warranty. Was good for one year, then the shudder came back again. But isn't getting worse, just mild with light throttle. That's been a year now with it mild and not getting worse. I bought the Dr. Tranny anti-shudder goo on Amazon, but still have not added to the transmission yet.

I think the extended warranty is much more liberal than the factory warranty. If customer isn't happy, dealer is able to make sure extended warranty will pay for it.

Consumer Reports bashes extended warranties, but it more than paid for itself. It was definitely worth it to get the one with low/no deductible. It paid for nuisance items, too, like window motor, rear latch pushbutton, puddle lights, etc. If we had a big deductible, those things would've been out of pocket.

#131 ·
Pulling off the local Interstate, on my way to work, I slowed to make the following right-hand turn. Gently applied throttle and the transmission started shuddering/vibrating violently and went away upon letting off the throttle. The cruise control light and check engine light flashed and traction control OFF indicator comes on, during this. I stopped to have my ID checked at my work's gate and in D with the brake applied, the vibration was still there, just less violent. it goes away as RPMs increase. No audible change to engine sound. I'm 100% confident the engine isn't at all related to this issue.

I'm about to leave work for the day and head to a nearby shop to have codes pulled.

#133 · (Edited)
Hi everyone thanks for this great community ! First time poster long time lurker:)

Just bought a 2010 Tribeca limited and we love it !

Yesterday we did about 300 km on highway with some long hills. I experienced some front back micro mouvement when going up hill at maybe 2500 rpm with a light right foot. Is that the famous shudder that everyone talk ? It feel like towing a trailer with some weight. Cant really feel it in any other situation. I will try sport and manual mode and will flush tranny and rear diff. A friend of mine who work as a tech for a subaru dealer since 15 years will do the job and clean the body valve with the special machine they have. He never changed any torque converter yet for this Tribeca. He own a legay gt 2006 with this transmission and can feel sometime the same thing going up hill and said that when he put it sport mode the shudder goes away.

1st - I will try sport and manual mode to see how it feel
2nd - i will flush fluid from tranny and rear diff and clean body valve
3rd - when it will be on the lift i will check cupped axels color to spot any non oem one
...Xth - Other things to check ?
Ultimately i will change torque converter

Beside that and the little buzzing noise at idle that i can hear in the cabin the car is superb.

Thanks everyone !

#135 ·
Tribeca Transmission Shutter FIX

I have an 08 Tribeca that started this shutter shortly after the fluid in the transmission was changed. I was told it was the torque converter, the transmission, etc.. I had changed the oil again and still the same shutter when accelerating into third gear.
I could not nor would concede to a transmission replacement or that of the torque converter since it ran fine and no codes in the computer accept for this third gear issue.

Found this product at my local O'Reilys auto part store and $10 later, it was fixed. Shutter Fix. That's the name of the product. Comes in a 2 oz tube. I used one and experienced a big difference, yet still a little shutter, so i purchased another bottle, this time on line (ebay) for $6 with shipping. and wala, Shutter no more.

Man to think of all the $$$ i could have spent chasing all these false diagnosis. Give it a try, you cant go wrong, well worth the investment. I swear by it. If it works, feel free to send any donations to me. The tip is invaluable for sure.

BE well,

Lordnv

#138 ·
Infamous 3rd gear shudder

I have an 09 Tribeca Limited in which I replaced the struts/axles/sway bar bushings with aftermarket parts. Since replacement, I have experienced a shudder when transmission shifts into third gear around 20-25 mph. I added the famous shudder fix liquid and the problem only got worse.

Purchased OEM fluid and spin-on filter in which I am going to tackle this weekend. Dealership stated that internal filter located in the pan is designed to be a lifetime filter that doesn't need replaced.

Will post updates if this fixed the issue. If not, may blame the aftermarket axles I installed on the front...........:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.