Exhaust Fell Off - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Engine, Power, and Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Exhaust Fell Off

So driving in to work today, just getting on the highway when the exhaust split right under the passenger compartment. Things got super loud (obviously) and within seconds I had caught a pot hole with the exhaust pipe, doing some good amount of damage to the pipe.

Based on the diagram, I was assuming that it was right before a CAT, but I'm second guessing and thinking that is just a resonator, and maybe the repair won't be so bad as it isn't a CAT that was damaged. So, I had it towed to my buddies shop that does exhaust as well, and was thinking of having him custom fab something and just deleting the resonator if it is in fact a resonator. Anyone want to confirm that the part that got bashed in the diagram is indeed a resonator?

If so, I think I'm going to have some larger pipes bent up, and get some new mufflers to mate up with it. Still made for a craptastic morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exhaust.JPG (94.1 KB, 12 views)
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
avk

Yes, it's a resonator (mid-pipe). You might still need a replacement flange for the converter outlet, if this is what was broken in the first place.

Last edited by avk; 08-08-2017 at 10:00 AM.
avk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Cool. Just glad to know it isn't a cat, which laying on the side of the highway with 65 MPH traffic rushing by; I thought it was.
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just for future reference, the cat is integrated into the LH exhaust pipe at the Y-junction (right above the '13' - the number, not the part - in the graphic).

IOW, you can't buy just the cat on the B9, you have to buy the whole LH pipe, which is a $1,200 part, new. So considering what could have been, hopefully not as craptastic of a morning now.

My preferred online Subaru parts store (OEM): http://parts.libertyautocitysubaru.com/
psygnal11 is offline   Reply With Quote