Oil filter - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Engine, Power, and Performance

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EASTERN PA (Phila area)
Posts: 334
Default Oil filter

Is anyone using a non oem oil filter. I have some oil leaking around where the oil cooler is. I changed the filter and the gasket and it is still leaking. Any ideas? THX
The leak is not bad. I just see the oil filter and cooler are wet with a little oil.
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: VA/PA
Posts: 316
Default

I don't know about all of that. What aftermarket filter is on there? Due to my engine oil consumption quest, I changed filters and oil like mad initially.

Here is what it came down to for me as far as the only part numbers that I would trust:

Subaru OEM 15208aa031 (Can't be beat in price so far by purchasing a pack of a few on ebay)

Purolator Pure One: (Yellow Filter) PL14460....no anti-drainback valve

PL14459 per Advance Auto.....but I think that the PL14460 is the correct one.
I wouldn't chance any other oil filter over the long run. Why take a chance?

You can also add a UV dye to the system. I know that this doesn't directly answer your question, but I'd suggest that you get into good habits since you just replaced that engine.
__________________
06 7 str. Ltd., Satin White Pearl 170k, black leather, OEM rubber mats, puddle lights, 7 str cargo tray, rear cargo net, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low beams, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drain Plug, Castrol Edge HM 10w-40, Baffled Catch Cans w/ drain, Pk Global Lifetime w/ 2 bottles of SCC, Summers - 255/55/18 Firestone Destination LE2s on Dark Grey Plastidipped Stockers Winters - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s.
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dodik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 485
Default

next time you do an oil change make sure that oil cooler is screwed on tight. its the nut in middle of it, and there is a small rubber gasket between cooler and block so, may try changing that one as well it takes only couple of minutes,

i dont remember exactly but i think there used to be a sensor right above the cooler (oil pressure?) that could leak and on my 02 outback it was one of the small hoses that was leaking.
__________________
09 Subaru Tribeca -- slow and ....um fat, definitely fat.
Dodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-05-2017, 06:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EASTERN PA (Phila area)
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodik View Post
next time you do an oil change make sure that oil cooler is screwed on tight. its the nut in middle of it, and there is a small rubber gasket between cooler and block so, may try changing that one as well it takes only couple of minutes,

i dont remember exactly but i think there used to be a sensor right above the cooler (oil pressure?) that could leak and on my 02 outback it was one of the small hoses that was leaking.
Thank you for info
I did mention above the gasket was already replaced. I meant it was the cooler gasket. Sorry if I didn't explain that well enough.
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EASTERN PA (Phila area)
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06b9beca View Post
I don't know about all of that. What aftermarket filter is on there? Due to my engine oil consumption quest, I changed filters and oil like mad initially.

Here is what it came down to for me as far as the only part numbers that I would trust:

Subaru OEM 15208aa031 (Can't be beat in price so far by purchasing a pack of a few on ebay)
Purolator Pure One: (Yellow Filter) PL14460....no anti-drainback valve

PL14459 per Advance Auto.....but I think that the PL14460 is the correct one.
I wouldn't chance any other oil filter over the long run. Why take a chance?

You can also add a UV dye to the system. I know that this doesn't directly answer your question, but I'd suggest that you get into good habits since you just replaced that engine.
I had the mobile high milage filter on that at first. I switch to a puralator one blue filter. Still some small leak is present.
I will use OEM next time.
As far as the dye I'm not too sure how to do this.
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: VA/PA
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhinchey View Post
I had the mobile high milage filter on that at first. I switch to a puralator one blue filter. Still some small leak is present.
I will use OEM next time.
As far as the dye I'm not too sure how to do this.
You can go to your big box parts store and ask for some UV dye. Not sure if the kits come with the yellow UV glasses and UV light.

I personally got an ebay UV flashlight...much better than what I saw at the store at the time. You put the amount the bottle tells you to put in and you can see it pretty clearly in the dark...sometimes without glasses. Alot depends on the color of that dye. For me, oil would appear an orange. For coolant a wicked bright yellow.
__________________
06 7 str. Ltd., Satin White Pearl 170k, black leather, OEM rubber mats, puddle lights, 7 str cargo tray, rear cargo net, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low beams, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drain Plug, Castrol Edge HM 10w-40, Baffled Catch Cans w/ drain, Pk Global Lifetime w/ 2 bottles of SCC, Summers - 255/55/18 Firestone Destination LE2s on Dark Grey Plastidipped Stockers Winters - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s.
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: VA/PA
Posts: 316
Default

Would only suggest the dye if you just can't find the leak. I have had weird situations with transmission leaks that I just couldn't find. I also put some dye in the cooling system to see if it ended up in the exhaust...which it didn't.
__________________
06 7 str. Ltd., Satin White Pearl 170k, black leather, OEM rubber mats, puddle lights, 7 str cargo tray, rear cargo net, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low beams, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drain Plug, Castrol Edge HM 10w-40, Baffled Catch Cans w/ drain, Pk Global Lifetime w/ 2 bottles of SCC, Summers - 255/55/18 Firestone Destination LE2s on Dark Grey Plastidipped Stockers Winters - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s.
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EASTERN PA (Phila area)
Posts: 334
Default

Thank you. It may also be residual from before the oil gasket was changed. I wiped it off and will check it again in a few days. Oil doesn't seem to be any lower from when I last filled it. I will add the die if there is any oil again. Thx
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: VA/PA
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhinchey View Post
Thank you. It may also be residual from before the oil gasket was changed. I wiped it off and will check it again in a few days. Oil doesn't seem to be any lower from when I last filled it. I will add the die if there is any oil again. Thx
BTW the dye is pretty harmless. I have even added it to my 3rd generation Caravan transmission which is the biggest hunk of junk on earth.....I just figure why bother if you can find the leak with other methods.

Still it is a good tool to have at your disposal.
__________________
06 7 str. Ltd., Satin White Pearl 170k, black leather, OEM rubber mats, puddle lights, 7 str cargo tray, rear cargo net, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low beams, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drain Plug, Castrol Edge HM 10w-40, Baffled Catch Cans w/ drain, Pk Global Lifetime w/ 2 bottles of SCC, Summers - 255/55/18 Firestone Destination LE2s on Dark Grey Plastidipped Stockers Winters - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s.
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
avk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 643
Default

I think the reputation of Chrysler A604/41TE transmission is largely due to the fact that service technicians didn't know how to diagnose it properly. I sold my minivan at 182,000 miles and the transmission was fine.
avk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EASTERN PA (Phila area)
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06b9beca View Post
BTW the dye is pretty harmless. I have even added it to my 3rd generation Caravan transmission which is the biggest hunk of junk on earth.....I just figure why bother if you can find the leak with other methods.

Still it is a good tool to have at your disposal.
Thank you... Just changed out my one blown puddle light and then checked the oil. It was about 1/4 quart short. Not too bad of a leak but Definitly leaking somewhere. Glad I didnt put the bottom cover protection back on because I probably wouldn't have seen this for awhile. Well I do chaeck my oil often so maybe sooner than later. I will invest in some dye. Any recommendations on brand or source?
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: VA/PA
Posts: 316
Default

No suggestions on brand at all. Hope you find the bastard!
__________________
06 7 str. Ltd., Satin White Pearl 170k, black leather, OEM rubber mats, puddle lights, 7 str cargo tray, rear cargo net, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low beams, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drain Plug, Castrol Edge HM 10w-40, Baffled Catch Cans w/ drain, Pk Global Lifetime w/ 2 bottles of SCC, Summers - 255/55/18 Firestone Destination LE2s on Dark Grey Plastidipped Stockers Winters - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s.
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EASTERN PA (Phila area)
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06b9beca View Post
No suggestions on brand at all. Hope you find the bastard!
??? What is meant by this?
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: VA/PA
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhinchey View Post
??? What is meant by this?
No suggestions on dye. I hope you find the bastard leak.
__________________
06 7 str. Ltd., Satin White Pearl 170k, black leather, OEM rubber mats, puddle lights, 7 str cargo tray, rear cargo net, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low beams, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drain Plug, Castrol Edge HM 10w-40, Baffled Catch Cans w/ drain, Pk Global Lifetime w/ 2 bottles of SCC, Summers - 255/55/18 Firestone Destination LE2s on Dark Grey Plastidipped Stockers Winters - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s.
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EASTERN PA (Phila area)
Posts: 334
Default

Oh haha. I'm not finding it at all. I'm letting the engine installer find it. He has offered to look for it for me and fix any necessary things. He has replaced a few things and even cleaned out some of the solonoids for me. Great guy. I hope he finds it, because that means I have to take this one step further and ask for a different engine. He asked me to leave it with him for a day so he can check further.
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: VA/PA
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhinchey View Post
Oh haha. I'm not finding it at all. I'm letting the engine installer find it. He has offered to look for it for me and fix any necessary things. He has replaced a few things and even cleaned out some of the solonoids for me. Great guy. I hope he finds it, because that means I have to take this one step further and ask for a different engine. He asked me to leave it with him for a day so he can check further.
Wow, I hope it is minor....but since you went through getting another engine, I don't blame you for keeping on this.
__________________
06 7 str. Ltd., Satin White Pearl 170k, black leather, OEM rubber mats, puddle lights, 7 str cargo tray, rear cargo net, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low beams, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drain Plug, Castrol Edge HM 10w-40, Baffled Catch Cans w/ drain, Pk Global Lifetime w/ 2 bottles of SCC, Summers - 255/55/18 Firestone Destination LE2s on Dark Grey Plastidipped Stockers Winters - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s.
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 134
Default

21370KA001 is the seal behind the oil/water heat exchanger. 5 bucks.
Thomasmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EASTERN PA (Phila area)
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasmryan View Post
21370KA001 is the seal behind the oil/water heat exchanger. 5 bucks.
Yes. This was mentioned already above that is was replaced. It was the first thing I thought was leaking.
Thx
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
yiannischris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Patras Greece
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhinchey View Post
Is anyone using a non oem oil filter. I have some oil leaking around where the oil cooler is. I changed the filter and the gasket and it is still leaking. Any ideas? THX
The leak is not bad. I just see the oil filter and cooler are wet with a little oil.
I always use the Mann 811/80 filter !! Not any problem till now.
yiannischris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Visionary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 32
Default Look for damage. Big question: where exactly is the leak?

Repeated leaks despite filter changes suggest that it's not the filter, and new gaskets are not always defect-free.
If you locate where the leak is coming from, that's a big timesaver. Here are some thoughts on sources and how to find them:

Finding it: Clean all oil off well, then spray everything with brake cleaner a couple of times... or three... until there is no evidence of oil. Then get a bright light, start the engine, and look until you can spot something. The problem with driving is that the wind currents push loose fluids all over.

Sources - these are the only options I can think of from the areas you've touched:
  1. Oil cooler gasket defect, like a tear, cut, scratch, or pinhole.
  2. Gasket resting on sealing-surface buildup, if it's not completely clean, or a piece of fuzz or hair that spans the sealing surface path.
  3. Sealing-surface scratch or gouge across the sealing zone.
  4. Hardware hole or crack. Various conditions including pitting corrosion can open a leak-path through an undetected internal defect spot in metals - it's more common in cast steel or aluminum parts. In the case of tubing or metal bellows, the tube wall is thin, and a bellows wall is very thin. Given an external scratch or small tool poke to start working with, a little salt exposure can bore a hole through otherwise "great" looking material... or corrode along a scratch line which can then open a small crack under pressure and vibration conditions with hot/cold cycling.
  5. Imperfectly brazed fitting/joint (oil cooler?) which finally developed a leak path.
Whatever you can narrow the leak down to, closely inspect the area(s) carefully for any signs of those issues above.

On your original question, I have used AMSOIL's oil filters for a decade on numerous vehicles. They've got the most expensive gasket on the market (because it's the highest performing), thick-gauge canister, silicon bypass/anti-drainback valve, nanofiber media with 70% wear rate reduction vs standard filters that's potted into long-life epoxy. For the Tribeca that's an EA15K20 filter, which is recommended for a 1-year or 15,000 mile drain interval (if your oil can handle it). IMO, that IS the best filter on the market, because that's how it's engineered. I'd never use anything else.
I hope this is of some help.
__________________
Former Sr OEM Eng'r, M.E./W.E., certified Lubrication Specialist.
2010 'Beca, 73k bought Jan 2017: aero cross rails, AMSOIL ASL 5W-30 & Ea15K20 nanofiber oil filter, 3.6R emblem...
Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oil leak


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2010, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Designed & Powered by Domain Architect