Any thoughts on Bar's Leaks for leaking head gasket - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Engine, Power, and Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any thoughts on Bar's Leaks for leaking head gasket

Guys,

Any thoughts (good/bad) on this product?

https://barsleaks.com/product/head-gasket-repair/
sweetpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
Guys,

Any thoughts (good/bad) on this product?

https://barsleaks.com/product/head-gasket-repair/
I don't think that you are going to get a positive or useful response on here to be honest. What are your symptoms?

Blue devil is *supposed* to be the only one that has a remote chance of working. Some say that nothing will work on a head gasket breach where exhaust is entering the system.

With that said, I'd be willing to consider using some before throwing my engine away, but I'd make damn sure that I bypassed the heater core during any attempt and be prepared to clog your radiator etc.

Sorry if this didn't answer your question specifically, perhaps others will come in. If you do decide to go this route, please let us know how it goes. That data would be most useful. I'd also post in the Outback Forum if you haven't already, but for reasons unknown I got far less help there than here even with (the likely more) EZ30R owners there.

You could also go to the bobistheoilguy forums and have 20 year old pimply faced kids tell you to "fix your "V-6" the right way.
06 7 str. Ltd Sa Wht Prl 170k, JDM Eng 48k, blk lea, OEM rub mats, puddle lts, 7 str cgo tray, r. cgo net, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low beams, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drain Plug, Rotella T6 5-40, M1 75-90 Diffs, Baffled Catch Cans w/ drain, Pk Global Lifetime w/ SCC, Summers - 255/55/18 Firestone Destination LE2s on Drk Gry Plastidipped Stockers Winters - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s, moonroof deflector

Last edited by 06b9beca; 02-14-2017 at 11:19 AM.
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

My exact thought's are above. If you are ready to swap the engine then it's worth a shot.
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, no.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Every liquid "head gasket repair" product on the market - no matter what the label says - was specifically designed for external HG leaks (i.e. oil/coolant leaking to the outside of the engine). There isn't a product out there that will repair an internal leak; however, if the leak is small enough, a liquid additive may provide temporary relief, but it's only going to prolong the issue and delay the onset of additional problems.

My preferred online Subaru parts store (OEM): http://parts.libertyautocitysubaru.com/
psygnal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 03-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Did you try it?
06 7 str. Ltd Sa Wht Prl 170k, JDM Eng 48k, blk lea, OEM rub mats, puddle lts, 7 str cgo tray, r. cgo net, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low beams, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drain Plug, Rotella T6 5-40, M1 75-90 Diffs, Baffled Catch Cans w/ drain, Pk Global Lifetime w/ SCC, Summers - 255/55/18 Firestone Destination LE2s on Drk Gry Plastidipped Stockers Winters - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s, moonroof deflector
Old 03-02-2017, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

I reiterate that you should not use this stuff. You'll wind up clogging up things you don't want it to clog up. Like your heater core.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhinchey View Post
I reiterate that you should not use this stuff. You'll wind up clogging up things you don't want it to clog up. Like your heater core.
Yeah but if they did it, I'd sure like to know about it. Real data is great for someone brave or crazy enough to do it. I'd risk it if I did it in mid summer and bypassed the heater core and then ran without A/C for a few weeks.

Good lookin out for other members though.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

I've used it on an 03 Dodge Ram 1500 that was blowing white smoke like it was for The Rock emerging to the crowd at Wrestlemania - that's to say, BAD. I followed the instructions, and as stated above, had concerns about the heater core. It was fine and the stuff worked like a charm. Probably the single best $10 I've ever spent in my entire life. I always expected that it would be temporary, at which point I would try it again before undergoing the major repair. My guys put another 80K miles on the truck before it was totalled in a wreck.

I find it interesting that I have ALWAYS been told by EVERY mechanic I've ever met or spoken to that absolutely no mechanic in a bottle will ever work, yet Subaru requires a "conditioner" in the coolant that contains some of the same type of materials. It's Subaru's solution to their very own head gasket issues. I think their idea is that you have a small amount in the system at all times to address issues AS THEY DEVELOP in the engine. It's like having a group of worker bees who are constantly repairing the hive.

If I understand the process correctly, these additives will work if the leak is a small area. The additive contains small particles that basically clog up the leaking area. The additive will not work if the damaged area is too big for the tiny particles to grab hold of anything, and instead just flush right thru and out the exhaust. Trying to think of an analogy - when your shower drain clogs up because the hair going down the drain gradually builds up until the opening is restricted. That's what the additive does. Clogs the openings in the head gasket.

I'd be more concerned about clogging a poorly designed oil cooler, which I do not believe is a concern with a Subaru. For instance, one major problem with the Ford 6.0 powerstroke diesel engine was the oil cooler getting clogged on the coolant side. This caused overheating issues, and for many, a blown head. Bars Leaks and the like would have been zero use because the blown head was actually caused by restricted coolant flow.

Good luck, btw - zero chance you could clog your radiator unless it was pretty much already clogged. The openings are too big.

Last edited by Jawjadawg; 03-17-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Jawjadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

OP here. No, decided against using it. Didn't want to risk *possibly* causing other problems.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

10 zillion tort attorneys always stand at the ready to file a class-action lawsuit against any product that demonstrates even slightest tendency to cause ancillary harm. The product has been out long enough for those issues to present. The only thing you find on the internet is a discussion where people say "you'll clog your heater core", but I've yet to see someone saying, "I clogged MY heater core." Right? They are all statements of fear rather than actual statements of how someone actually messed anything up.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFLGlBkxOC8
lutek34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Just as I suspected. Doesn't work for a large breach. I just wouldn't use it. It could clog and damage other areas that you don't want to be sealed.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
DJB

Yep, used similar product about 2 years ago to treat head gasket leak (which I then had to fix properly). Now I only get warm air on passenger side!
DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
avk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjadawg View Post
10 zillion tort attorneys always stand at the ready to file a class-action lawsuit against any product that demonstrates even slightest tendency to cause ancillary harm. The product has been out long enough for those issues to present. The only thing you find on the internet is a discussion where people say "you'll clog your heater core", but I've yet to see someone saying, "I clogged MY heater core." Right? They are all statements of fear rather than actual statements of how someone actually messed anything up.
One issue is that some of these products work on contact with air and/or exhaust gas. With a bad head gasket, a cooling system can contain air pockets and gas bubbles. Any resulting clog in this case will always be blamed on user error. Anyway, https://www.google.com/search?q=clog...=1751&bih=1038
avk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

And whatever you put in the coolant will eventually need to be cleaned out when you go for a permanent solution. Your anecdotal equivalence to coolant conditioner is illogical. The subaru engine suffers from cylinder movement inherent to open deck engines. Using a conditioner helps keep the gasket sealing material from delaminating from the gasket core
Its not an off the shelf stop leak. Dodge v8s don't have this issue with their iron blocks.
FLsubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Yep, used similar product about 2 years ago to treat head gasket leak (which I then had to fix properly). Now I only get warm air on passenger side!
Check out my easy replacement for the heater core.
Easy peasy lemon. Well u know the rest.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
DJB

Yes it's on my list of things to do!
DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLsubies View Post
Your anecdotal equivalence to coolant conditioner is illogical. The subaru engine suffers from cylinder movement inherent to open deck engines. Using a conditioner helps keep the gasket sealing material from delaminating from the gasket core
Its not an off the shelf stop leak. Dodge v8s don't have this issue with their iron blocks.

They both contain small metal flakes. Wonder why? I'm not a mechanic, but a comparison is not illogical.

As for a permanent repair, it is possible that a permanent repair is not in the cards - depending on vehicle mileage and the individual owner's long-term plans.