Reputable jdm importers - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Engine, Power, and Performance

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Haohmaru
  • 1 Post By 06b9beca

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Reputable jdm importers

Has anyone had any luck or heard of any luck with a jdm importer ? I need to get an engine/motor faster than anticapated /expected. Thx
Even ones to stay away from.
I would rather it be close to Philadelphia but I'll get it shipped if it a reputable shop.
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well I pulled the trigger today and decided to go JDM and have the place install it as well. I should get it back on Fri.
The place I went to is called JDM Engine PA Address: 2181 Bennett Rd, Philadelphia, PA 19116
Phone: (215) 613-8004
He set up the engine to compression test it all the cylinders and removed all the plugs for me to inspect.
I will update the end result when I get it back and work the kinks out. I really dont expect a miracle but he seems knowledgeable enough to fix whatever needs to be done. Crossing Fingers

Last edited by michaelhinchey; 02-07-2017 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added
Old 02-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhinchey View Post
Well I pulled the trigger today and decided to go JDM and have the place install it as well. I should get it back on Fri.
The place I went to is called JDM Engine PA Address: 2181 Bennett Rd, Philadelphia, PA 19116
Phone: (215) 613-8004
He set up the engine to compression test it all the cylinders and removed all the plugs for me to inspect.
I will update the end result when I get it back and work the kinks out. I really dont expect a miracle but he seems knowledgeable enough to fix whatever needs to be done. Crossing Fingers
Is your engine replacement complete? Sounds like it from your other posts.
06 7 str. Ltd Sa Wht Prl 170k, JDM Eng 48k, blk lea, OEM rub mats, puddle lts, 7 str cgo tray, cgo nets, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low bms, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drn Plg, RT6 5-40, M1 75-90 Diffs, Valvoline Import MV ATF, Bfld Ctch Cns w/ drn, PK GL Lifetime w/ SCC, SUM - 255/55/18 Firestone Dest LE2s on Drk Gry Plastidipped Stockers WNTR - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s, MNRF defl, SLTD/DRLD rotors cer pads
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

The engine swap was complete. There was one hiccup but remedied quickly. A small/tiny air hose came off near the back part I assume during the install. I have the heater core to tackle to get my heat back and install this grom usb3 gadget since I have the dash already pulled apa r t to do the heater core swap. Fun rest of the week ahead of me.
I got my engine and install complete for under 2000.
1250 for the engine and 600 plus fluids which I provided (and plugs and serpentine belt). The last two were not needed but it made sense to swap them now.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
The engine swap was complete. There was one hiccup but remedied quickly. A small/tiny air hose came off near the back part I assume during the install. I have the heater core to tackle to get my heat back and install this grom usb3 gadget since I have the dash already pulled apa r t to do the heater core swap. Fun rest of the week ahead of me.
1250 for the engine and 600 plus fluids which I provided (and plugs and serpentine belt). The last two were not needed but it made sense to swap them now.
Glad that hurdle is over for you!
OliverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow, congrats! 2K is really inexpensive for the whole thing. How many miles on the JDM motor? Will you have time to write a thread, others would benefit from this info?
2007 B9 Tribeca Limited Diamond Grey Metallic - 150K
2010 Outback 6 MT Silver - 126K
SubOperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

The engine that was put in the car was a jdm engine. These are not easily verified. The person I received the engine from stated it had roughly 60000 miles on it in his opinion of working with these engines for 25 years. I bought subaru coolant plus conditioner (2 bottles)(25 bucks plus 5 bucks for conditioner), a serpentine belt (approx 15 bucks), 6 new plugs(approx 35 also had a rebate), and synthetic mobile one fluid . He installed the engine and stated he would use the jdm alternator(he gave me mine for any future issues), he removed 2 pulleys and used mine. He removed all of my sensors and used them since they were known to be working.
I did get a check engine light and a bberr code on the sash when I left but it was discovered it was a small little hose that came off that was connected to the brake booster. The error codes p 0174 and 0175 (I think) also popped up. BUT they were cleared and only p0174 has come back. He is going to look at it when he gets back from Canada in a few weeks. I have cleared this error though and it has not returned in 5 days. Crossing fingers.
I highly recommend this shop if anyone needs a new engine. It was much cheaper than a new headgasket and being that I purchased this used with the issue I would rather start with a different unknown engine. He pressure tested the engine and let me look at the plugs. They were not ngk plugs(which are oem) so I know they were most likely replaced at one time or another. Unless Japanese Subaru manufacturer uses Denso plugs and not Ngk. The fact he was gonna install it at such a great price only lead me to believe it was a good engine. 90 day warranty as well ..
The name of the shop is jdm engine PA. They are located in Philadelphia.
If any other info is needed please shootell me a I.M or reply here.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Congrats, I just drained my catch can in your honor!
06 7 str. Ltd Sa Wht Prl 170k, JDM Eng 48k, blk lea, OEM rub mats, puddle lts, 7 str cgo tray, cgo nets, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low bms, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drn Plg, RT6 5-40, M1 75-90 Diffs, Valvoline Import MV ATF, Bfld Ctch Cns w/ drn, PK GL Lifetime w/ SCC, SUM - 255/55/18 Firestone Dest LE2s on Drk Gry Plastidipped Stockers WNTR - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s, MNRF defl, SLTD/DRLD rotors cer pads
Old 02-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Lol. Haha. Very good indeed.
All fluids were done today except oil and coolant sonce they were already done when the engine was installed. I did the front and rear differentials (smelled) and I did the transfluid. (Brown but not burnt). I'm glad that is finished.
Next I'm working on some aesthetics. Non oem hitch and bumper cover (step). The roof racks are a bit pricey but still looking to find them used. Not many tribecas in any local junk yards here.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

I couldn't find rook racks used other than some Russian guy that wanted to sell me broken ones, but only after driving 20 minutes to meet him was it clear they were broken. Not worth it.

I got them on one of the sales that subaruonlineparts.com have every now and again. 25% off if I remember right.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
I couldn't find rook racks used other than some Russian guy that wanted to sell me broken ones, but only after driving 20 minutes to meet him was it clear they were broken. Not worth it.

I got them on one of the sales that subaruonlineparts.com have every now and again. 25% off if I remember right.
found a used set online for 70 with shipping on ebay. I will most likely paint them and then clear coat and polish them. (Ill Probably skip the polishing depending how they turn out)
Old 10-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Just in case anyone is still looking, here's a place I've purchased engines from: https://jdmracingmotors.com/en/subaru/
FLsubies likes this.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

JDM Engine of Chantilly Virginia did a pretty decent job. I could nit pick about the fuel line that was left a bit loose, the bad JDM PS pump, and the front bumper cover not being put on 1000% correctly but the fact is I was too far away to go back and have them take care of it which I am sure they would have gladly done.

https://www.facebook.com/vajdmmotors/

Mike was a very nice guy. Never did a Tribeca before and took the challenge. Was about $2100 out the door including taxes and new oil and coolant.
FLsubies likes this.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default great deal

i think you got a great deal and a very fair price.
Did full 60,000 service, ipod addition, rubber sway bar bushings, generic sepentine pulleys,Lexus 460x silicone wipers,thermoquietpads,tranny filter thru bumper cover. Thank you all
tribecadean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine swap, jdm, rebuilt