Fuel Pump on - with ignition off - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Engine, Power, and Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fuel Pump on - with ignition off

I am having an odd issue that I am not sure the answer to yet... Periodically I keep hearing the fuel pump turn on (and stay on) for a period of time when the Tribeca is just sitting in the garage. Usually after driving it an hour or two later.

My concern is that I have had a new battery put in (because the other OE unit failed). Now I am thinking it is because of a fuel pump / relay issue.

Every once in a while (with the new and the old battery also) I get into the car and it seems the battery is almost dead.

anyone else experience this? and what could be the fix?
Joesturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2016, 05:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

I experience a similar issue with our 2014 Impreza but have not noticed it with Tribeca. Maybe the Tribeca's pump is very quiet???

I have noticed that turning on the ignition stops the noise.

A Subaru dealer inspected the car and told me that after the engine cools off the pump runs in order for the system to detect leaks in the fuel system, it is normal.

I have not noticed any battery issues though.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Normal regarding fuel pump, as subbus says.

Regarding dead battery, check the serpetine belt and make sure there are no issues.

Have you ever replaced the alternator? Lots of issues with aftermarket alternators not charging batteries.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2016, 01:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
Normal regarding fuel pump, as subbus says.

Regarding dead battery, check the serpetine belt and make sure there are no issues.

Have you ever replaced the alternator? Lots of issues with aftermarket alternators not charging batteries.
It is at the dealer now... They said "nothing to worry about" - however they already replaced the battery at 15K miles... so why would the battery go dead so quickly and also - why do I experience a low battery periodically?
Old 02-06-2016, 04:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

1) You said that your original battery failed and was replaced. How old was it?

2) You said that the new battery was replaced too, do I understand that correctly?

3) Please describe the symptoms for: "I get into the car and it seems the battery is almost dead."

4) "why would the battery go dead so quickly" How quickly?

5) How long the car sits without driving?

6) Howl long are the trips you make?

7) Do you have any aftermarket electronic devices installed like hard wired GPS, security alarms, FM transmitter, etc?
Old 02-06-2016, 05:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbus View Post
1) You said that your original battery failed and was replaced. How old was it? (IT WAS 1.5 Years Old)

2) You said that the new battery was replaced too, do I understand that correctly? (No IT WAS NOT REPLACED BUT HAS HAD LOW POWER IN THE AM)

3) Please describe the symptoms for: "I get into the car and it seems the battery is almost dead." (CAR TURNS OVER SLOWLY AND SEEMS TO HAVE LOW POWER INITIALLY (INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR LIGHTS DIM)

4) "why would the battery go dead so quickly" How quickly? (OVERNIGHT)

5) How long the car sits without driving? (NO MORE THAN 12 HOURS)

6) Howl long are the trips you make? (4 10 MINUTE HIGHWAY (65MPH) EACH DAY)

7) Do you have any aftermarket electronic devices installed like hard wired GPS, security alarms, FM transmitter, etc?
(NO ALL FACTORY)

Not YELLING just wanted CAPS above to separate your and my comments
Old 02-06-2016, 06:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

After you make the trip, 4-10 minutes at HW speeds, and you start the engine again, does it turn normally or slowly?

Is it parked outside in freezing temperatures?
Old 02-06-2016, 08:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
After you make the trip, 4-10 minutes at HW speeds, and you start the engine again, does it turn normally or slowly?

Is it parked outside in freezing temperatures?
It is garaged and yes it starts fine and the lights are back to normal...
Old 02-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

1) Test the alternator just in case: http://www.familyhandyman.com/automo...nator/view-all

2) Test the battery: I would go to a local auto parts store and ask them to test the battery.

3) Measure the car's battery current (section Finding Leaks, Step By Step): http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...attery-drains/

Report back with the results.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
1) Test the alternator just in case: http://www.familyhandyman.com/automo...nator/view-all

2) Test the battery: I would go to a local auto parts store and ask them to test the battery.

3) Measure the car's battery current (section Finding Leaks, Step By Step): How to Find and Stop Car Battery Drains ? DIY Car Battery Drain

Report back with the results.
Guess I was lazy and did not let you guys know... it was a bad battery... I ended up installing LED's in the interior and I can tell you it made a huge difference on voltage stored in the battery. I don't know if it solves the issue long term but it has been over a year with zero issues now.