Vibration under low Acceleration - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Drivetrain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vibration under low Acceleration

Hi Guys,

Had my 08 w/DVD & NAV since January. For the last few months I've noticed a vibration when under low acceleration. Anywhere from 60-80 KM's or 35-50MPH If the acceleration is around 5-10% (on the display) the vehicle vibrates. Don't feel it in the steering wheel so I'm assuming it's in the backend (feel it throughout the vehicle though)

Feels similar to when a manual transmission is shifted into a higher gear too early. Was just at the dealer but did not bother asking, thought it better to check with my brothers and sisters here to get an idea before I pay for some inspection.

Let me know if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks.
wackojacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

sounds like a bad balance of the tires... either that or if you hit a curb or a big pot hole, you probably need an alignment
B9LTD83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9LTD83
sounds like a bad balance of the tires... either that or if you hit a curb or a big pot hole, you probably need an alignment
I would normally think that but it does not occur at high speeds, which would be balance. I think it's a gear ratio problem. More wondering if anyone else has experienced it and had a resolution with their dealer. No pot holes or curbs either. I've had both alignment and balance issues in my driving history and I'm sure that it's not that. But thanks for the suggestions.

Anyone else...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's dealer time

2011 3.6R Limited w/ Nav
Magic Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Does it do it in any gear at the same speed? Try it in different gears in manual mode.

Have you been using a different brand of fuel or maybe try a different brand of fuel? I notice my B9 is very moody with different brands and with the seasonal fuel blends.
hawker800mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Fuel is interesting - I always buys my gas from Canadian Tire gas bar (I'm in Canada of course) Maybe try filling up elsewhere.

It seems to be when the RPM's are low. Could be in 4th or 5th I beleive. It's been reduced in the last week as I've tried to drive conservative to see how good I can get the fuel economy. Keeping acceleration under 20% and crusing at 5-10% acceleration. Fuel economy has been greatly improved - like 20% from 16 to 18 MPG on the computer. It still vibrates but not as strong.

I will try the gas with my next fill up and tell you how that tank goes.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think it may be the engine computer doing its thing and maybe a different fuel may improve it. I have the 3.0l and it hates being below 1500 rpms, but it is a higher revver than the 3.6l. What kind of rpms are you talking about when it jutters? A little different, but a friend of mine has an older Mustang with a high rev cam and it shakes the car below 1500 rpms when driving steadily. It may be a trait with our engine. I know my old OB at idle would wobble at idle (and was kind of anoying). A common trait due to the solid rubber engine mounts.
hawker800mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hey Hawker,

Not sure on the exact RPM but probably around 1500, I know it's 5-15% on the acceleration meter on the centre display.

I just filled up yesterday with another brand (Petro Canada) this time. Still only 87 ocatane though. Drove about 70 miles and it seems to have decreased. Will see how this tank goes and let you guys know the results.

Sucks I get a good deal and the Canadian Tire gas station but I rather have a smooth ride then a good deal.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

I know this thread is a little old, but did you ever get anywhere with this? I have an 08, 7 pass w/ Nav/RSE and it's done it since I've had it. It happens under low acceleration when tranny is in lockout. Most noticable on the highway on slight inclines or flats where you try to maintain a speed of about 45-60 mph.

I've had it to the dealer in the past to get it looked at...They couldn't replicate the problem. Today I went for a ride with the tech and demonstrated. He did some research and tells me it's normal.

I don't like the explaination. I've had lots of cars and I've spent enough on this car to not have this problem. It's frustrating.
Sutton Tribeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

I guess it good to hear I'm not alone. I'm due for an oil change soon, actually going to switch to Synthetic at that time. Going to ask them to investigate. All my friends think it is not normal so I hope my dealer doesn't tell me the same thing as yours.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

You're not alone. This is actually my wife's car and I've been taking it to work for the last couple of days. Needless to say, I'm much less tolerant than she is about the issue. It's most noticable as I I slightly accelerate on the highway, and I would have never bought the car if it performed like this. I just spoke with a transmission shop and I'm going to get a second opinion. A description of the problem to them prompted them to say - "there's no way a car in 08 should have lockup chatter" and I would agree.

I'm not going to let this go - it's either it gets fixed or I'm going to leave the car on their lot!
Old 11-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

I heard from the dealer on Friday. The apparently had another car come into the dealership with a similar problem. They have since contacted Subaru and are working on a resolution. We'll see how long this takes, but I'm going to keep in touch with them. They state that it's not doing any harm to the vehicle, but that it's definitely not right and that it will be fixed. They just don't know what's causing it just yet! I'll keep you updated.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have had the same issue since new. 08 Premium Tribeca in Australia,

The dealer has said it is the torque converter and they are replacing it under warranty. Apparantly it is out of balance and as you accelarate you drive through the vibration. I get the car back next week. Lets hope this is the fix as it is very annoying. They have had a number of complaints about this from what I have been told.
schnoofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Vibration fixed

My vibration has been fixed with new torque converter and a sensor in the transmission. It now rides beautifully. All done under warranty.
schnoofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

Great to hear. I opened up an issue with Subaru USA.

I ended up going back to the dealer a couple of weeks ago. i'm told that there is a "new" torque converter that will be available in 2-7 weeks. The dealer is going to wait for that and install that as the fix.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

So is this primarily an 08 thing?

2011 3.6R Limited w/ Nav
Magic Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Marker
So is this primarily an 08 thing?
According to the Subaru Technical Information System website, http://techinfo.subaru.com it’s the 08 & 09 that list the issue.

Go under the Reference Publications tab at the top and then 2008 or 2009, and Tribeca.

Then click on the Subaru Bulletins > Technical Service Bulletins

Towards the bottom is 5AT Torque Converter Shudder/Vibration (225.23 kb) 16-74-09

5AT Torque Converter Shudder/Vibration

Service Bulletin #16-74-09
Pages: 2

Bulletin Description: If you encounter a vehicle that has a shudder/vibration which could be felt in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear during slight acceleration, it may be caused by the transmission torque converter during lockup operation. A countermeasure was made to the final machining process of the sliding surface for the lock up clutch to provide more stabilization and eliminate the shudder/vibration.

This is exactly my issues, I thought it had subsided or reduced but it’s back.

Not sure what their solution is, maybe replace torque converter? I find out.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:28 AM   #18 (permalink)

My dearer tells me that they are going to replace the torque converter...I'll update once I have more info. My dealer doesn't even have the new converter on order yet, they say it's not available, but it would seem to me they could order it anyway.

I'm bringing the car in on Monday for new bushings anyway. I'll see what they have to say.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackojacko
Hi Guys,

Had my 08 w/DVD & NAV since January. For the last few months I've noticed a vibration when under low acceleration. Anywhere from 60-80 KM's or 35-50MPH If the acceleration is around 5-10% (on the display) the vehicle vibrates. Don't feel it in the steering wheel so I'm assuming it's in the backend (feel it throughout the vehicle though)

Feels similar to when a manual transmission is shifted into a higher gear too early. Was just at the dealer but did not bother asking, thought it better to check with my brothers and sisters here to get an idea before I pay for some inspection.

Let me know if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks.
I know this thread is old, but I gotta a problem that might be similar. I am from GTA as well.

I just picked up an '09 Tribeca Premiere and all seems fine except when I'm going around 70km to 80km an hour. On the smoothest of new paved ashpalt, I can feel vibrations in my butt, but is not present at other speeds up or down, seems only between 70-80 as most evident. I even notice this when I release the gas (coasting), I can feel this vibration! Do I have the same situation as you? What fix did they do and did it work?

Thanks!
mwoo68
mwoo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

I had the torque converter replaced, and well it's better but it's not completely gone. I still have an open issue with Subaru USA, but it's hard to get back to the dealer.

This is a known issue, it happens at speed under slight acceleration. I'm sure if you take it to a dealer they'll know what to do... The fix is to replace the torque converter with a newer revision. I have no idea what the difference is, but it did help.

Unfortunately now that they replaced it, I get a hard shift out of park...I hope that's something they can adjust...

I'm actually due for an oil change so I'll let them look at this all sometime in the next two weeks.

Good luck!