Vibration under low Acceleration - Page 7 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Drivetrain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #121 (permalink)

THere are two filters. One is inside the transmission, part of the valve body. This filter is very coarse, and you can just hose it off. There is another one up in the front drivers fender, spin on. There are some aftermarket options available, but most people agree that they aren't made right, just get the subaru one.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #122 (permalink)

Have you looked to see if there are any transmission codes pending? Occasionally there are reports of failed valve body. (this actually seems unlikely given symptoms)
Old 12-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #123 (permalink)

No I haven't check for any pending codes, the check engine light isn't on but I will check. I was stuck today waiting around for the phone company to fix our phone line. They don't show up until 2:30pm today. Blew the whole day waiting. Oh and it does have the Factory Subaru axles still in it.
Wes Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #124 (permalink)

Hi gang... had the Dr Tranny additive in for 2 months now for about 3 to 4,000 km of driving. Shudder is about 10% to 20% of what it used to be (it was shuddering most of the time) only around 60 kph. I will try adding another tube.

Chuck
chostovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #125 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Hawkins View Post
No I haven't check for any pending codes, the check engine light isn't on but I will check. I was stuck today waiting around for the phone company to fix our phone line. They don't show up until 2:30pm today. Blew the whole day waiting. Oh and it does have the Factory Subaru axles still in it.

Isn't that fun? I wish we could charge THEM for the time they make us waste!

I'm still stuck on why it would only shake for 1 gear and not all gears if it is the TC. Reset TCU learning #1 and go through the relearning process and see if it helps. You could also see how it drives in sport mode to see if there is a slight difference, and then manual shifts.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #126 (permalink)

Any update on the transmission issue?
Old 10-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #127 (permalink)

How long can I run the car with the shudder? I just had the dealer flush my transmission and transaxle fluid at 60K and now the shudder is getting worse in my 2008!

I wanted to keep this car for another year or three but don't want to dump even more money into it. If it gets worse with age it may be better for me to throw that Dr. Tranny into it and trade it in.
Miracle Worker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:33 AM   #128 (permalink)

I have a 2008 Tribeca with 120k miles. Mine had the vibration and it was getting worse. I had aamco look at it and they ended up putting in the new torque converter and rebuilding the trsnsmission with some updated parts. Total cost was $2800 and the car runs perfectly. I didn't want to spend the money but I'm glad I did.
Thefuzzbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #129 (permalink)

On our 2009 Tribeca, we ran into the shudder two years ago (2013). It started very mild, and we wondered what it was, maybe coming from the front end? It got worse and worse and it became obvious it was from the transmission. It got really bad, I was afraid the transmission would fail. We got the torque converter replaced under Subaru extended warranty (over 36K mi). The shudder came back in 7 days! Took it to the dealer, they couldn't replicate the problem (what???). It got worse yet, brought it in again and they did replicate the problem and replaced the torque converter and transmission both, fully covered under the extended warranty. Was good for one year, then the shudder came back again. But isn't getting worse, just mild with light throttle. That's been a year now with it mild and not getting worse. I bought the Dr. Tranny anti-shudder goo on Amazon, but still have not added to the transmission yet.

I think the extended warranty is much more liberal than the factory warranty. If customer isn't happy, dealer is able to make sure extended warranty will pay for it.

Consumer Reports bashes extended warranties, but it more than paid for itself. It was definitely worth it to get the one with low/no deductible. It paid for nuisance items, too, like window motor, rear latch pushbutton, puddle lights, etc. If we had a big deductible, those things would've been out of pocket.
max.db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:24 AM   #130 (permalink)

Anyone with a shudder under light load should verify they have OEM green cupped axles on both sides. I had one black cup axle (aftermarket), replaced it and vibration went away. Common story on Subarus.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #131 (permalink)

Pulling off the local Interstate, on my way to work, I slowed to make the following right-hand turn. Gently applied throttle and the transmission started shuddering/vibrating violently and went away upon letting off the throttle. The cruise control light and check engine light flashed and traction control OFF indicator comes on, during this. I stopped to have my ID checked at my work's gate and in D with the brake applied, the vibration was still there, just less violent. it goes away as RPMs increase. No audible change to engine sound. I'm 100% confident the engine isn't at all related to this issue.

I'm about to leave work for the day and head to a nearby shop to have codes pulled.
inivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #132 (permalink)

Yup, need those codes. They will tell you exactly what it is.

Any recent work?

Tom
Old 10-16-2016, 08:17 AM   #133 (permalink)

Hi everyone thanks for this great community ! First time poster long time lurker

Just bought a 2010 Tribeca limited and we love it !

Yesterday we did about 300 km on highway with some long hills. I experienced some front back micro mouvement when going up hill at maybe 2500 rpm with a light right foot. Is that the famous shudder that everyone talk ? It feel like towing a trailer with some weight. Cant really feel it in any other situation. I will try sport and manual mode and will flush tranny and rear diff. A friend of mine who work as a tech for a subaru dealer since 15 years will do the job and clean the body valve with the special machine they have. He never changed any torque converter yet for this Tribeca. He own a legay gt 2006 with this transmission and can feel sometime the same thing going up hill and said that when he put it sport mode the shudder goes away.

1st - I will try sport and manual mode to see how it feel
2nd - i will flush fluid from tranny and rear diff and clean body valve
3rd - when it will be on the lift i will check cupped axels color to spot any non oem one
...Xth - Other things to check ?
Ultimately i will change torque converter

Beside that and the little buzzing noise at idle that i can hear in the cabin the car is superb.

Thanks everyone !

Last edited by Subforever; 10-16-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Subforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #134 (permalink)

I would leave it alone based on the minor impact.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #135 (permalink)

Thumbs up Tribeca Transmission Shutter FIX

I have an 08 Tribeca that started this shutter shortly after the fluid in the transmission was changed. I was told it was the torque converter, the transmission, etc.. I had changed the oil again and still the same shutter when accelerating into third gear.
I could not nor would concede to a transmission replacement or that of the torque converter since it ran fine and no codes in the computer accept for this third gear issue.

Found this product at my local O'Reilys auto part store and $10 later, it was fixed. Shutter Fix. That's the name of the product. Comes in a 2 oz tube. I used one and experienced a big difference, yet still a little shutter, so i purchased another bottle, this time on line (ebay) for $6 with shipping. and wala, Shutter no more.

Man to think of all the $$$ i could have spent chasing all these false diagnosis. Give it a try, you cant go wrong, well worth the investment. I swear by it. If it works, feel free to send any donations to me. The tip is invaluable for sure.

BE well,

Lordnv
Lordnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
Thanks for the homework, I took advantage of your time and brought a printout of your detail regarding the technical info to my dealer with my 08 and told them I was having the same problem. My Tribeca has 80K on it, long time out of warranty. I was able to convince SOA to participate in paying for the repair. They popped for $1000, half the total cost. I picked it up today,drives like a new vehicle, the part has been upgraded to correct the problem. Thanks again
How did you get them to help pay? I have been having this same issue for a year or so and called SOA's 800 number no they basically said it wasn't a known problem and a dealer note was not considered a sefety issue or warrant for a recall...? I love my Subie but would love to have this issue fixed and the less out of pocket, obviously the better... Thanks.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #137 (permalink)

Driving the 09 Tribeca to the dealer on Friday to have them diagnose our shudder. Oh Yeah.....
Winesalot is offline   Reply With Quote