Vibration under low Acceleration - Page 5 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Drivetrain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #81 (permalink)

Just sent my 08 Beca to the local Subaru dealer for the shudder, Torque converter is getting replaced under 3rd party extended warranty
t5rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5rrr
Just sent my 08 Beca to the local Subaru dealer for the shudder, Torque converter is getting replaced under 3rd party extended warranty
good news
Trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #83 (permalink)

Got my Beca back, tranny is silky smooth now

Repair came up to about $1k at the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #84 (permalink)

Great news there,
Trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #85 (permalink)

Thought I'd bump this back up instead of making a new thread. Were you guys getting a tinny metallic rattle or more of a deep loud rattle that could be heard from outside the car?

My car drives fine, no vibration or shutter, but makes a loud rattle/resonating sound at low speeds when giving gas. I can replicate it when reversing over a speed bump and giving it a quick tap of the throttle.

I have 2 months until my powertrain warranty is out, but if it turns out to be something not covered I'm out $165 just to look at it. If it turns out to be a tranny problem later I'll kick myself, but don't want to waste time and money on a heat shield. Thanks.
garface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:57 AM   #86 (permalink)

Is this the right part no for the torque converter??

31100AB142
Old 03-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #87 (permalink)

i got a pretty similar problem with my tribeca but this one is 2009 with 130k. i try get in touch with the dealer but no one have seen this problem. i send a email with bulletin for 2008 vibration and shuttler tranny, but tranny code are not corresponding. by this way they not search any further. i just wonder if someone have this problem with a 2009.
fragomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #88 (permalink)

Hi fragomaster. The best way to describe the shudder under low acceleration is that it is like driving over a cattle grid (slightly less severe). If you maintain low throttle whilst in the vibration it will remain. If you apply more throttle it will go. I believe it was a machining issue on construction of the trannies. My vibration was there from purchase (28K on odom.) till repairs around 10K later. It didn't get better or worse, just more annoying and easier to replicate.
I took mine to a busy auto transmission shop. I told the guy I thought it was Torque Converter. He scoffed when i said that but then he drove the car and he could replicate vibration on command. He confirmed my diagnosis.

Good luck
wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomiT
Is this the right part no for the torque converter??

31100AB142
yup, that's right. The same p/n was in my invoice from 8/3/12 when my 08 had its TC replaced under extended warranty.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavychemist
Thought I would update my situation. Turned out that I had a loose heat shield over the catalytic converter. Glad it wasn't related to the transmission. Easy fix, no more vibration.
That's the same issue with mine.
I"m just too lazy to replace the rusted bolts
Huskylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #91 (permalink)

Well I get to join the shudder/vibration club with our 08'. 110,000 miles thought wheels were out of balance got new tires balance and alignment and shutter still happens right @ 20mph and 40mph under light load... Car is 1 year out of warranty... anyone know how much it costs or if they will fix this out of warranty?
bsj425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #92 (permalink)

anyone , maybe it could be a motor mount ou tranny mounting is worn out. if someone had changed them first let us know.
fragomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #93 (permalink)

At 110k, you are due for a fluid replacement first. Use ONLY subaru's ATF-HP. Full flush, not just drain and fill. You can do this yourself using these instructions:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...sh-197248.html
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #94 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoofty View Post
My vibration has been fixed with new torque converter and a sensor in the transmission. It now rides beautifully. All done under warranty.
That's excellent did they install a new converter the same as before with a sensor you claim. I'm having the same old issue you had before ,curious what they did ? .I have a 2009 Tribeca BEAUTIFUL but that vibration annoying,You know.How long has it been since they fixed it ?

Last edited by ray carvajal; 05-10-2014 at 01:04 PM.
ray carvajal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5rrr View Post
Got my Beca back, tranny is silky smooth now

Repair came up to about $1k at the dealer.

How many miles did your car have before replacing the converter ?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #96 (permalink)

As I posted some time ago, I had this problem and was solved downloading a new gearbox software. I showed the dealer the post on Subaru's web and after they did some research, they were told by the manufacturer to do that.

I noticed the difference was a different setting of the gearbox operation, probably avoiding some speed/gears or conditions.
I´ve felt the vibration again a few times, but it was barely noticeable.
I´ve driven 60.000 miles since the repair.
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #97 (permalink)

I really don't understand why Subaru won't recall this problem everyone is having including myself.Very obvious their's a problem .Honda & other Manufactures don't wait so long.
I feel if Subaru doesn't recall, well bye bye, to unhappy Customers.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #98 (permalink)

Default Shudder !

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhobbes View Post
Let us know what developed with your shudder.
Did SOA address it for you?
Is it fixed?
What was done.

I wrote to the CEO Subaru Japan and sent it express post.
Have not heard back. That was about two weeks ago.
Getting ready for my next address to this matter.
My son is a graphic artist and am getting large signs with a lemon and a short note giving account of my experience and a link to a website, where I will provide a more detailed account.
I could just trade the damn thing in, but it is the principle of the thing that irks me. Subaru's total denial of the problem despite their dealer's repeated insistence that there IS a problem!
Keep writing!
Im with you on the principal of it all ,don't understand why[ NO RECALL] all other Manufactures recall problems.Can't even find info on Corporate Japan do you have any Info ?Thanks.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #99 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray carvajal View Post
Very obvious their's a problem .Honda & other Manufactures don't wait so long.
Thought I'd chime in and say that you're wrong, they all do this.

Honda finally accepted that there was a problem with the Odyssey's transmission (the older 4 speed) and did a recall. The problem was that the cooling system was inadequate. So what do they do? Just chuck the exact same, faulty transmission in it. My parents had their replaced at 90,000 miles under the recall (the old one shifted a bit poorly, but worked fine). The next one lasted less than 70 before completely blowing up. Honda of America did absolutely nothing about it, and the dealership wanted over $4000 to repair/replace the recall transmission. That's not acknowledging the problem, that's just putting a band-aid on it by clearing out old, bad parts out of the warehouse. It was a self-serving solution that didn't benefit the owners.

Subaru really should be better about this stuff as they are a company that strives to be better, but accountants calculate the cost vs. benefit of these sorts of issues and the consumers came out on that bad end of the math on this one.

At this point (because I know I'm bumping an old thread) Subaru isn't putting the 5EAT in anything anymore, so I doubt they're going to do much about the issue.

2015 Dodge Charger AWD

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former Subarus:
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #100 (permalink)

Default anyone added anti-shudder transmission oil treatment?

Hi guys & gals

My 08 Tribeca developed the dredded shudder at 118,000 kilometres... the Hamilton Subaru dealer has done everything said in this post to avoid helping, including claiming US TSBs do not apply in Canada.... they checked the tranny and said it needs to be replaced for $4,000. I pressed him on where this alleged "new" tranny would come from and he said a rebuilt unit from Scarborough Engines, not a new OEM. I said "No way", its the torque converter not the entire tranny.... $1040 for a new TC and $650 to install at the dealer I was quoted.

Now, it developed the shudder after getting a trans oil change at a fast lube place (first change) but they used Valvoline and not Subaru/Castrol as per spec... I followed up with the fast lube and they only changed 5L, leaving 4L old oil behind. Hamilton Subaru told me they do the same as they do not have the equipment to flush and he told me they also add an oil treatment... what the hell?

So maybe the wrong oil with 4 litres of 118k old oil is causing the shudder as the clutch plates don't fully lock up.... I am taking it to Buds Subaru in Oakville who told me they do a full power flush and replace all 9L.... will report back.

Now there are pruducts like Wynn’s® Shudderguard
http://www.wynns.co.nz/wynns-product...g=2&s=18&id=56

and Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-250/Dr.+...t+Shudder+Fixx

Has anyone used these products and do they work, at least temporarily?

Chuck
chostovs is offline   Reply With Quote