Vibration under low Acceleration - Page 4 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Drivetrain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #61 (permalink)

Yeah...totally understand. The fact that SOC wont step up to the plate, and you driving around in a lemon.I suppose you have to look at it like selling property, when the market is low you cut your loses and get out. at the end of the day its only a car and not worth the stress.
Hope it works out which ever way you go.
Trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #62 (permalink)

Thought I would update my situation. Turned out that I had a loose heat shield over the catalytic converter. Glad it wasn't related to the transmission. Easy fix, no more vibration.
heavychemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavychemist
Thought I would update my situation. Turned out that I had a loose heat shield over the catalytic converter. Glad it wasn't related to the transmission. Easy fix, no more vibration.

I must have exactly the same problem with my '08 Tribeca with 66K miles on the clock. I don't think I have any transmission shift issues. In fact, the tranny upshifts and down shifts silky smooth on D, SPORT, and MANUAL. The shift transition is barely noticable, without any kicking or jerking and I only know that it already shifted to the next gear, higher or lower, with just listening to the engine and feeling for the chage in it's pull. Loved it!

I'm not sure if it's the "shudder" issue that everyone in this thead is experiencing but I would say that what I'm having is more of a "rattle" from underneath the car...and yes, I haven't checked the catalytic converter heat shields yet, but I've already ruled out the chrome exhaust tips by removing both of them (left and right) but the rattle is still there when going an incline or uphill with engine speeds between 1200-1500 RPMs between 10-30 mph.

I'm also suspecting the sheet metal shield around the spare tire carrier and those thin aluminum heat shields for the mufflers on both sides at the rear corner of the car. Aside from the cat coverter heat shields, what else could it be? Has anyone here have had these "rattle" issues?

I am totally new to Subaru and AWD/4WD and I'm also hearing a whinng/humming sound at speeds from 10-30 mph but goes away at higher speeds, which becomes high pitched when accelerating and becomes low pitched when slowing down, then becomes louder when stepping on the brakes and coming to a stop. The sound is pretty much comparable to those part time 4WD or 4X4's especially those with aggressive off-road tires and I am aware that our subaru is AWD. So, is the humming sound that I'm describing is normal on Subaru Symmetrical AWD system? Is this what other have mentioned in this tread where the torque converter is locking up?

Any help and input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
sb9tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb9tango
I must have exactly the same problem with my '08 Tribeca with 66K miles on the clock. I don't think I have any transmission shift issues. In fact, the tranny upshifts and down shifts silky smooth on D, SPORT, and MANUAL. The shift transition is barely noticable, without any kicking or jerking and I only know that it already shifted to the next gear, higher or lower, with just listening to the engine and feeling for the chage in it's pull. Loved it!

I'm not sure if it's the "shudder" issue that everyone in this thead is experiencing but I would say that what I'm having is more of a "rattle" from underneath the car...and yes, I haven't checked the catalytic converter heat shields yet, but I've already ruled out the chrome exhaust tips by removing both of them (left and right) but the rattle is still there when going an incline or uphill with engine speeds between 1200-1500 RPMs between 10-30 mph.

I'm also suspecting the sheet metal shield around the spare tire carrier and those thin aluminum heat shields for the mufflers on both sides at the rear corner of the car. Aside from the cat coverter heat shields, what else could it be? Has anyone here have had these "rattle" issues?

I am totally new to Subaru and AWD/4WD and I'm also hearing a whinng/humming sound at speeds from 10-30 mph but goes away at higher speeds, which becomes high pitched when accelerating and becomes low pitched when slowing down, then becomes louder when stepping on the brakes and coming to a stop. The sound is pretty much comparable to those part time 4WD or 4X4's especially those with aggressive off-road tires and I am aware that our subaru is AWD. So, is the humming sound that I'm describing is normal on Subaru Symmetrical AWD system? Is this what other have mentioned in this tread where the torque converter is locking up?

Any help and input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Bumpitie-bump.....
Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #65 (permalink)

I wanted to confirm that the fix for this is the Torque Converter. I just got my 2008 Tribeca back from the dealer and the shutter/vibration does not exist anymore.

They originally changed out the Drive Shaft and it didn't solve the problem. The Service manager then called Subaru of America for authorization to change out the Torque Converter.

The service was under Subaru Warranty. I had 53K miles on the car.
Lio37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #66 (permalink)

Having my torque convertor changed this week. I just bought a 2008 and the dealership agreed to fix that shudder when I bought the car. Does this shudder cause damage to the transmission? Do I need to tell them about downloading the software for the transmission.
Awhill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:47 AM   #67 (permalink)

Thinks that's just the torque issue. Get it done through dealer's shop. Not a big issue.
jamesbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #68 (permalink)

we just got ours last week and notice this issue too.
but i notice the noise at around 1500 rpm. didn't really look at the speed.
h82bslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #69 (permalink)

been driving it and tried to see whats going on but seems more like a buzzing sound
Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h82bslo
been driving it and tried to see whats going on but seems more like a buzzing sound
Yea it's more of a buzzing sound from under the car, more like coming from the exhaust and I still have that unsolved mystery of the vibrating sound at around approx. 1300 - 1700 RPM as per my post #s 63 and 64, and it has been suggested in post # 62 that, in his case, the cause was a loose cat converter heat shields but I tried inserting shims of all kinds around those thin aluminum sheet metal heat shields but the vibrating/buzzing sound is still intermittently making that annoying noise especially when climbing a slight uphill otherwise the transmission shifts are seamless and the drivetrain is silky smooth.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #71 (permalink)

agree the trans is silky smooth. love the car!!! doesn't seem like that big a deal, but it might bug the heck out of me if it gets louder.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #72 (permalink)

I never gave up my fight! Luckily, I found out my girls in gymnastics was with a girl who's father owned a subie dealership nearby, so I got a bit of extra care for my issue. I am at the stage where they said they will call me when the new transmission comes in. I gave them a blank stare for a moment and said isn't it just the torque converter? They said it is too difficult to diagnose so they don't want to mess around and just change it all out. They said a new trannie comes with a torque converter. Now, I am waiting for their call. I did ask them if they got approval from SOC, but I just got some mumbling about them taking too long etc.., but I didn't push the issue. I'd assume SOC needs to approve such as large warranty expense, so I will keep all posted as to what eventually unfolds. Finger's crossed and hoping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhobbes
Let us know what developed with your shudder.
Did SOA address it for you?
Is it fixed?
What was done.

I wrote to the CEO Subaru Japan and sent it express post.
Have not heard back. That was about two weeks ago.
Getting ready for my next address to this matter.
My son is a graphic artist and am getting large signs with a lemon and a short note giving account of my experience and a link to a website, where I will provide a more detailed account.
I could just trade the damn thing in, but it is the principle of the thing that irks me. Subaru's total denial of the problem despite their dealer's repeated insistence that there IS a problem!
Keep writing!
mwoo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #73 (permalink)

Default Help Please

Bought an MY08 Tribeca in May 2011 from the proverbial little old lady driver in nearby outer suburban Sydney, Australia. Only driven 28K. Warranty expired that month.

Driving vehicle home noticed a vibration, thought little of it. Only drove 3K over the next 10 months, but vibration reoccurred most times it was driven, at low speed (40-60km/h) slight throttle, low rpm. Could not work it out. Tried everything, as vibration was inconsistant and irregular did not know what to do. Found this site and the vibration is identical to that descibed by everyone else in this forum. Now have little doubt that the problem is the torque converter.

The vehicle is now 1 year out of warranty so I am after any information that anyone may have that Subaru knew it was a manufacturing fault with a view to approaching Subaru about helping with the problem.

Thanks
wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #74 (permalink)

Subaru knows about this problem but will not recall and a few people managed to get them to fix the problem including myself under warranty, unfortunetly some not so lucky!!!
If you have the history books on the car, there might be reference to any work carried out to fix the issue and you could try to fight it as an ongoing issue?

Dont want to frighten you, the tech told me it was a $4K fix

Hope you sort it out
Old 05-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #75 (permalink)

Thanks Trueblue. Just went to independant transmission guy who drove Tribeca and could produce vibration on demand. He says definately converter. But even he suggested try subaru. Made enquiries with (NSW) Fair Trading. There is a thing called statuatory warranty which warrants vehicle from production defects regardless of agreed warranty. Went to Subaru. got the palm off at first then Service manager came out and 'seemed' a little pursuaded. Then had mechanic go for test drive. Hardly played up for him but he did notice it slightly twice and agreed there is an issue. They stated they will sent the problem through to Subaru technical and see what happens.

Independant guy quotings 2K to fix(which probably puts Subby at 4K) I am still hoping for someone who might have a technical report from subaru acknowledging existence of the problem.

Cheers.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat
Thanks Trueblue. Just went to independant transmission guy who drove Tribeca and could produce vibration on demand. He says definately converter. But even he suggested try subaru. Made enquiries with (NSW) Fair Trading. There is a thing called statuatory warranty which warrants vehicle from production defects regardless of agreed warranty. Went to Subaru. got the palm off at first then Service manager came out and 'seemed' a little pursuaded. Then had mechanic go for test drive. Hardly played up for him but he did notice it slightly twice and agreed there is an issue. They stated they will sent the problem through to Subaru technical and see what happens.

Independant guy quotings 2K to fix(which probably puts Subby at 4K) I am still hoping for someone who might have a technical report from subaru acknowledging existence of the problem.

Cheers.
No worries,

Hopefully Subaru come back with positive news.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #77 (permalink)

Default great news

Two days after presenting the problem to local subaru dealer I received a phone call from local subaru dealer stating "Bring car in and Subaru will supply and fit a new converter'.

Will be one happy chook if this all works out.

Will post following repair but so far so good. (Subby Australia seem to have better grasp of problem than canadian friends)
Old 05-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #78 (permalink)

^ good news
Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #79 (permalink)

Smile Shudder GONE

A couple of months since last entry. I have driven a 1000km or so since new Torque Converter fitted and......... NO shudder. Yeah one happy chook. I am very pleased with the car now. When driving you hit the right conditions and you're waiting for the shudder which doesn't happen.

Thanks True Blue for your help and also thanks to this site for giving me the knowledge to help solve the problem.

You could ask why the issue was never made a recall? but hey, I must complement Subura for there quick remedy to my concerns (one year out of warranty) after I approached them with the issue.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #80 (permalink)

No worries, glad it worked out - now you can enjoy the car and appreciate the power without the shudder - I know I have.