Vibration under low Acceleration - Page 3 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Drivetrain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #41 (permalink)

My vibration/shudder has been fixed with a new torque converter. The Area manager knew of the problem straight away and ordered the part. All done under warranty too. Very happy now!!!
Trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #42 (permalink)

Glad to hear it. I have had two torque converters replaced without benefit and Subaru refuses to deal with the problem.
Be aware that the problem MAY recur .
Hope it does not for your sake.
goodhobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #43 (permalink)

I took my Tribeca to the dealer 2 months ago for this problem. In fact I had to take it also because all lights relationed to transmission went on suddenly.

They don't know exactly what happened, but also with my earlier claim for the vibration they had instructions from the manufacturer to try first downloading a new software for the auto transmission, before changing the torque converter.

As a result the vibration didn't dissapear at all, but, it became almost unnoticeable. And, sometimes, when it seemd it's about to start to vibrate, the torque converted unlocks.
So, I believe what they've done is to change to software in order that the gearbox avoids the specific conditions in which it vibrated. Clever!!

For the moment, those small vibrations I have now make me wonder that it'll probably be better not to have the gearbox touched again - I'm afraid of the consequences of someone messing with it - vibration is not really a bothering issue now.

The only fact is that sometimes I find the torque converter locks in conditions that it shouldn't lock - sometimes locking and lowering rpms to about 1100-1200.
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #44 (permalink)

The problem is defiantly with the torque converter, Im shudder free since posting back in May,
Old 11-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #45 (permalink)

Default shudder in transmission under genle acceleration .

May be a bit late posting this, but you have the same problem as I do.
If you check my posts, you will see the headaches I have had dealing with Subaru Canada.
My Tech at dealer admits there is a problem.
Service manager says there is a problem, but Subaru won't or can't correct it. He says he has two others like it out here in the Nanaimo, BC. area. He says the only think I can do is keep after Subaru Canada. Two new Torque converters have not worked. Checking antiknock sensors did not prove anything either. Changing to high test fuel was also suggested. There is No fix for the problem and Subaru Canada says what I experience is "normal" ! Funny was not normal in any of the other 20 cars (not Subaru's) I have owned!
My suggestion is to make as many Subaru owners and potential buyers aware of Subaru's incompetence!
All the best.
Goodhobbes
Old 11-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhobbes
May be a bit late posting this, but you have the same problem as I do.
If you check my posts, you will see the headaches I have had dealing with Subaru Canada.
My Tech at dealer admits there is a problem.
Service manager says there is a problem, but Subaru won't or can't correct it. He says he has two others like it out here in the Nanaimo, BC. area. He says the only think I can do is keep after Subaru Canada. Two new Torque converters have not worked. Checking antiknock sensors did not prove anything either. Changing to high test fuel was also suggested. There is No fix for the problem and Subaru Canada says what I experience is "normal" ! Funny was not normal in any of the other 20 cars (not Subaru's) I have owned!
My suggestion is to make as many Subaru owners and potential buyers aware of Subaru's incompetence!
All the best.
Goodhobbes

I hear'ya LOUD and CLEAR!!! I even have the TSB from Subaru of America acknowledging this shudder, but Subaru Canada won't deal with it. The dealer says they don't follow SOA stuff so we won't look at it.

My thinking is since they are on a roll regarding sales with all their models (excluding the Tribeca), they don't want the Tribeca to get in its way. At any rate, we're just a small group of owners! Heck, the ads here in Ontario don't even show the Tribeca in its lineup of cars.

After four subes, this may be my last for a good little while, not because of the issue, but the blatant poor service from SOC.
mwoo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #47 (permalink)

Default Tribeca 2008 MY First and last!!

My first and last Subaru!!!
Have written to CBC Marketplace today. Am looking into other forms of action I can take. Eg. write to local papers, BBB. Canadian Driver, etc.
Have written to Canadian Driver already.

Have even considered placing a link to a website which I will develop on the side of the car:
"Thinking of buying a Subaru?...check this website and think again...."

Should be able to TAR all their models with the same brush!!
Subaru is prepared to jeopardize their success at the expense of a few failures?

Extreme, maybe, but I have had it with them! Terrible customer service....Never had such a problem with all the many cars I have owned!

Keep posting!

Last edited by goodhobbes; 11-12-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #48 (permalink)

Well, I now join the shudder club...Car has been great for about 2 1/2 years. Bought new in Feb 08. Only felt a couple small vibrations during this time. Once on the drive home from Maine, about 1/2 hour after we started out. Going uphill and slightly accelerating. only lasted 1 or 2 minutes. Another time cornering on a city street while accelerating.
I just had the Tribeca in for a level 2 maintenance which includes rotation and balancing about 3 weeks ago. Thanksgiving day headed out to in-laws we had this huge vibration on the highway at 70. My wife and I were unnerved, tho the kids loved it! Figured it was a botched balance and slowed to 65, tho still felt slightly. Brought back to dealer this past saturday and "balance was off on front right tire. Much better now."
Nope! Still vibrated at 70-75-though not as bad. Dealer is taking it in on thursday to do a complete look over and fully check tires, wheels, tranny. I told them about tsb and torque converter with the tranny lockup. We'll see how it gets handled...If not satisfactory will be trading in for 09 or 10 forester. Gas isn't getting any cheaper anyway, and I don't use 3rd row enough to justify it. Love the car, but will not deal with with this vibration/shudder at my usual cruising speed of 70-75 (or at all!) It feels like we have massaging seats-thats the best way to describe it.
gags77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #49 (permalink)

Angry GAGS77 Subaru Shudder

Let us know what developed with your shudder.
Did SOA address it for you?
Is it fixed?
What was done.

I wrote to the CEO Subaru Japan and sent it express post.
Have not heard back. That was about two weeks ago.
Getting ready for my next address to this matter.
My son is a graphic artist and am getting large signs with a lemon and a short note giving account of my experience and a link to a website, where I will provide a more detailed account.
I could just trade the damn thing in, but it is the principle of the thing that irks me. Subaru's total denial of the problem despite their dealer's repeated insistence that there IS a problem!
Keep writing!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #50 (permalink)

I'll let everyone know what develops. I dropped it off tonite so they could take it to a different location. The service manager told me they had a force balancer down there, and of the open tsa for the torque converter on the 08-09 Tribecas. You can't really feel anything until about 75 mph, then it shutters bad...vibrating seats are not a confident feeling! The weird thing is that it wasn't doing this until after the last service which included a wheel balancing. I figured it was just a bad balance, but even though the shudder was a little less "massaging", it is still there.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:24 PM   #51 (permalink)

Sorry for a late response, but time has not been a friend to me...Well, the force balance was done and it seems to have gotten rid of the shudder. Much smoother on the highway at my cruising speed of 70-75mph. What I don't understand is what my dealer told me. They said they did a balance (twice), but that their wheel balancer doesn't really work for tires/rims above 16". Why would they offer a balance (or do balances) on vehicles with larger rims if their balancer doesn't fit them? They had to send my car out for the balancing because of the 18" rims, and that was the problem. Didn't do the torque converter, tho they said they were going to. Still notice, once in a while a slight vibration in the steering wheel, but its not something that happens all the time or makes me feel unsafe (like the bad balancing did).
Old 01-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #52 (permalink)

I cant seem to understand why they dont fix the problem for you guys over there? This is a safety issue and I made it clear to the dealer and he agreed.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackojacko
According to the Subaru Technical Information System website, http://techinfo.subaru.com it’s the 08 & 09 that list the issue.

Go under the Reference Publications tab at the top and then 2008 or 2009, and Tribeca.

Then click on the Subaru Bulletins > Technical Service Bulletins

Towards the bottom is 5AT Torque Converter Shudder/Vibration (225.23 kb) 16-74-09

5AT Torque Converter Shudder/Vibration

Service Bulletin #16-74-09
Pages: 2

Bulletin Description: If you encounter a vehicle that has a shudder/vibration which could be felt in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear during slight acceleration, it may be caused by the transmission torque converter during lockup operation. A countermeasure was made to the final machining process of the sliding surface for the lock up clutch to provide more stabilization and eliminate the shudder/vibration.

This is exactly my issues, I thought it had subsided or reduced but it’s back.

Not sure what their solution is, maybe replace torque converter? I find out.
Thanks for the homework, I took advantage of your time and brought a printout of your detail regarding the technical info to my dealer with my 08 and told them I was having the same problem. My Tribeca has 80K on it, long time out of warranty. I was able to convince SOA to participate in paying for the repair. They popped for $1000, half the total cost. I picked it up today,drives like a new vehicle, the part has been upgraded to correct the problem. Thanks again
woodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:16 AM   #54 (permalink)

Default Transmission shudder

had two torque converters replaced without correcting the issue.
I sincerely hope you are more fortunate. Subaru of America seems much more helpful and responsible than the Canadian counterpart. They abandoned me totally.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #55 (permalink)

Crap, sounds like I have the same problem. Taking the Tribeca to the dealer on Thursday to see what they say. Bringing the Service Bulletin with me. No way in hell is that sound normal.
heavychemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #56 (permalink)

Good luck with your service. Let us know what is found and whether they fix it for you.
Keep posting! Important that we get as many complaints aired as possible on this issue with Tribeca's.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #57 (permalink)

My trans started shaking shortly after I had a trans service done at the dealer. I don't know if the flush was related to starting the problem, but at around 60K it began, a shudder at low acceleration would start at 30mph and continue until 40, then fade. I had no extended warranty, so the dealers were in no position to help me financially. I went to Subaru US for help. It took a while, buy they finally agreed to pay $1000. My wife talked the dealer into accepting an expired service coupon for another $150 so we payed $850 for the fix. Subaru has done an upgrade on the converter, so they are definately aware of the problem as a deficient original part.
woodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #58 (permalink)

Glad to see that SOA helped you out when you were in a tough situation.
Our Canadian counterpart has not been so helpful, even while covered by warranty!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #59 (permalink)

Hey goodhobbes, going by your posts things haven't changed. How long are you planning of fighting this and still drive the car around in this condition? This must be very hard to come to terms with. Just curious as to when it would be wise to just get rid of it.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #60 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Hi Trueblue!
I have reached that point. I will continue to post and hear what happens with this issue, though. Can't let SOC get off too easily. No more Subarus for me though.
All the best.