Vibration under low Acceleration - Page 2 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Drivetrain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default transmission a lemon

Hi all,

I have this same exact problem. I do city style driving 90% of the time and it happens at least twice a day in the speed range from 20-40 mph. I have around 13,000 miles on it now. This has been an ongoing problem since I bought the car in November of '08. It was a brand new '09.

The car was brought to the dealer at least three times for this problem and at the end of the day nothing changed. I even broke down in Boston Massachusetts and it was towed to the dealer. To fix it they simply reprogrammed the transmission. It didn't do anything.

I even sent Subaru a lemon law letter because i felt the dealer was not doing anything. Subaru technical came and looked at with the resolution "that's how it's suppose to perform". This transmission is a lemon and Subaru has failed to realize it. Now they are putting it in all their new cars. I hope America will wake up and demand a recall.
yamahaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman09
Hi all,

I have this same exact problem. I do city style driving 90% of the time and it happens at least twice a day in the speed range from 20-40 mph. I have around 13,000 miles on it now. This has been an ongoing problem since I bought the car in November of '08. It was a brand new '09.

The car was brought to the dealer at least three times for this problem and at the end of the day nothing changed. I even broke down in Boston Massachusetts and it was towed to the dealer. To fix it they simply reprogrammed the transmission. It didn't do anything.

I even sent Subaru a lemon law letter because i felt the dealer was not doing anything. Subaru technical came and looked at with the resolution "that's how it's suppose to perform". This transmission is a lemon and Subaru has failed to realize it. Now they are putting it in all their new cars. I hope America will wake up and demand a recall.
As others have posted, it seems the torque converter to be the resolution. See earlier posts about the TSB. I'll be at least pushing for this "torque converter" replacement when I take it into the dealer. Mine's a 2009 Tribeca.

Good Luck...
mwoo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #23 (permalink)

How many miles do you guys have on cars to notice this, mine is 09 TRIBECA and not had it yet?

I know about shudder, but not noticed yet.
LORE BECA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORE BECA
How many miles do you guys have on cars to notice this, mine is 09 TRIBECA and not had it yet?

I know about shudder, but not noticed yet.
Soon as I drove off the lot, I informed the dealer about it. Its brand new. I bought 09 at year end Oct. 15

I told them I'll give it a bit more driving to see if its tires or whatever and if it goes away. After researching online and this site, I'm positive I have a shudder/vibration in the speed range I mentioned earlier. You can feel it rumble in the seats but not in the stearing wheel.

It might not be on all cars, so you may be lucky!

Finally today 11-23-09, dealer looked at it and acknowledged there is a bit of vibration at the 80km speed, but it is normal for this type of vehicle. That is crap!!! I told them a cavalier feels smoother than this. I told them I'll monitor it but really I had to go pick up the kids. I wanted to give it to them. Also, I told them the 2nd row seats vibrates, and the answer is its because of the shudder/vibration. WTF?

I'll be going back in a week or so to give it to them. I even printed out the bulletin about the vibration/shudder and 2nd row seats issue, and they told me I got those from the american site and canada is not the same, so until canada issues a bulletin, there is nothing to be done.

Last edited by mwoo68; 12-16-2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:49 AM   #25 (permalink)

Looks like I'll be calling the dealer about this too.....feels like its gonna stall sometimes around the 40klm/h mark.
Trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

Mi problem vibration a 1500 rpm the dealer change de torque converter and the problem finish sorry for my english i am from spain

Good Luck
bsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:04 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsll
Mi problem vibration a 1500 rpm the dealer change de torque converter and the problem finish sorry for my english i am from spain

Good Luck
No problem

thanks for the feedback
Trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #28 (permalink)

I have this too! Dealer said they could not reproduce. just ran out of warranty- will they fix the tsb after warranty?
saintnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:40 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintnick
I have this too! Dealer said they could not reproduce. just ran out of warranty- will they fix the tsb after warranty?
My issue is still ongoing. As I said, they claim the shudder/vibration is normal for this car. I was shocked. So shocked, I just left without a word. Well, its not over. I've got just under 3 years warranty left!!!

I showed them the TSB about it and the fix suggested. They didn't even bother to to investigate further, just saying, "we don't follow USA TSB", we follow only Canada's.

As I said, its not over. Anybody manage to get a good dealer to really try and solve vibration/shudder issue, please post!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoo68
My issue is still ongoing. As I said, they claim the shudder/vibration is normal for this car. I was shocked. So shocked, I just left without a word. Well, its not over. I've got just under 3 years warranty left!!!

I showed them the TSB about it and the fix suggested. They didn't even bother to to investigate further, just saying, "we don't follow USA TSB", we follow only Canada's.

As I said, its not over. Anybody manage to get a good dealer to really try and solve vibration/shudder issue, please post!
Which dealer, I basically got the same response from Mississauga Subaru, without having the TSB in hand.

On a weird note, I put on new winter tires (full set of Firestone Winterforce 17", without TPMS) and the shuttering seems to have gone away. Tires went on Jan 3 and I have not been able to feel it since, and I've tried. I'm thinking it might be brought on by uneven tire wear. I had 16,000 miles on the OE tires and had not rotated them. Dealer said in December that the OE tires were something like 6mm left on the fronts and 6.5mm on the rears. I've read other spots that you can have drive train issues if you only replace say your front tires.

I'm thinking there is still a shuttering issues with my ride but it is increased by the uneven tires (front to back), anybody have any thoughts on this theory?
wackojacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #31 (permalink)

Have you pursued this any further. I'll be going in again in about a month when I do my oil change and go at it again! Does you car exhibit any rattling in 2nd row or rear gate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackojacko
Which dealer, I basically got the same response from Mississauga Subaru, without having the TSB in hand.

On a weird note, I put on new winter tires (full set of Firestone Winterforce 17", without TPMS) and the shuttering seems to have gone away. Tires went on Jan 3 and I have not been able to feel it since, and I've tried. I'm thinking it might be brought on by uneven tire wear. I had 16,000 miles on the OE tires and had not rotated them. Dealer said in December that the OE tires were something like 6mm left on the fronts and 6.5mm on the rears. I've read other spots that you can have drive train issues if you only replace say your front tires.

I'm thinking there is still a shuttering issues with my ride but it is increased by the uneven tires (front to back), anybody have any thoughts on this theory?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoo68
Have you pursued this any further. I'll be going in again in about a month when I do my oil change and go at it again! Does you car exhibit any rattling in 2nd row or rear gate?
Have not been back to dealer. Just went on a long drive to Pittsburgh and the vibration was not there. Had 3 guys in the vehicle with me and no shutter. I think the tires might be a contributor to the issue. I'll see in the spring when the OE tires go back on (rotated of course)

I have the rattle. Not sure where, it was not present on the trip to Pitts, but that was because the second row has 450lbs of passenger weight and the back had luggage with the third row folded down. the rattle is there now with no cargo. Think I might have all the rattles including the rear compartment cover. I have a box sitting back there on the cover and the rattle is less. It might be jumping up and down on the hinges (this is the cover over the jack)
wackojacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Have not been back to dealer. Just went on a long drive to Pittsburgh and the vibration was not there. Had 3 guys in the vehicle with me and no shutter. I think the tires might be a contributor to the issue. I'll see in the spring when the OE tires go back on (rotated of course)

I have the rattle. Not sure where, it was not present on the trip to Pitts, but that was because the second row has 450lbs of passenger weight and the back had luggage with the third row folded down. the rattle is there now with no cargo. Think I might have all the rattles including the rear compartment cover. I have a box sitting back there on the cover and the rattle is less. It might be jumping up and down on the hinges (this is the cover over the jack)
I'm glad for you that your's is not as bad as mine. I have a 1997 Acura 1.6EL and at 80km cruising speed, its smoother than the Tribeca. The tribeca exhibits vibration that is easily felt. Being told that they feel it also and that it is normal for this car! $48K car is normal!?! My car was an early 2009 build, in fact, it was the showroom car that came from Mississauga Subaru. Silver Premium. Not sure how long it was the showroom car, but the nail scratches on the push handle of the trunk storage hatch tells me its been on 'show' for a while...
Old 03-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #34 (permalink)

Cool Transmission vibration/hesitation....etc. on slight acceleration in 5th.

I have posted here, somewhere, before about this issue. Problem since new in a 08 Tribeca!
I have had two torque converters replaced. Several other items replaced or looked at to try to address this problem. Probably a dozen visits to dealers in 35,000 km for this problem.
One dealer who just became disinterested and another who bent over backwards to try and address the problem. Sadly, the problem remains, and the last dealer who tried to fix the problem (while keeping the car for about a month, and communicating with Subaru Canada on a regular basis) stated that Subaru Canada advised them that the problem in question was normal and there was no fix!
That dealer also told me that after I took my car in, they had two more Tribecas with a similar complaint!
I am presently dealing personally with Subaru Canada, and hope to have a reply soon.
Based on what I read in this Forum, this is a more widespread problem than
I once believed. I wonder if Subaru is facing a Major Problem!! Bearing in mind that The new Outback is also available with a similar engine and transmission?
Keep on posting! Maybe Subaru will address the issue!
goodhobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhobbes
I have had two torque converters replaced. Several other items replaced or looked at to try to address this problem. Probably a dozen visits to dealers in 35,000 km for this problem.
Interesting. I can't even get them to replace the torque converter, only that this shudder/vibration is normal for this car. I printed off the TSB for this issue and it claims the torque converter should address the issue along with maybe a reflash.

Can you re-describe your problem in detail just to be certain it is the same as mine. Mine is most obvious at 80km/hr.

What dealer have you been taking your car to in Canada? I'm very interested in your case since since you have a Canadian Tribeca. Alot of my information I give to my dealer, they quickly reinforce the fact that they do NOT follow Subaru of America TSB's, only Subaru of Canada! While all Tribecas are all made alongside each other in Indiana, I'd think one problem should be same for both borders.

Keep us posted how you make out and what course of action plays out. I get the feeling my dealer hopes I just accept the vibration and live with it and stop being a whiner!

If you are willing to band together at Subaru of Canada, PM me and I'll join your cause. How long have you been dealing with Subaru Canada? And whom is your contact?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #36 (permalink)

HI
I'm from Uruguay- just purchased a 09 Tribeca with 19000km

I felt this vibration problem since the beggining, and searched in the forum, and found the description mentioned here is exactly what I feel - with transmision locked about 1500 rpm it's annoying. Specially at 30-40 km, and at 70-80.
Also when that happens, gears do some silly up and down, like they dont decide what gear to use.

Before seeing this thread I went to the dealer and told be some vibration was normal, but I wan't really able to show them the vibration, as some streets were a bit harsh.
Now that I found it happend to others I'll go back again.
I'll let you know. Wish me luck
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #37 (permalink)

I'm not positive this is the same thing you guys are experiencing, but it sounds similar to me.

Last night I noticed that as I'm accelerating (but only if I do it mildly) at about 60 mph (which is 96 kph) up through about 65 mph there is a vibration. The vibration feels like the car is going over those rumble strips on the side of the road used to wake up sleepy drivers -- but without the noise. At first, I was convinced it was the road. However, I was able to duplicate the vibration several times.

Is this torque converter causing this?
tribeca09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #38 (permalink)

I've done some research on the web, and found this same problem described in legacy forums (cars with same gearbox). And also found the same problem related to other brands equipped with the same 5AT gearbox.
Has anyone seen this?
Maybe it's a problem involved with the gearbox and not just Tribecas.

Reading through this forum and others about this problem it seems in some cases problem was solved just by reprogramming the software. Is this right?
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:

Finally, service manager finally took it for a drive and noticed the shudder that I was referring to. He claims it is the torque converter but needs to isolate the issue a bit more to make the case to Subaru of Canada even knowing full well it is a well documented issue in the US. This is the first step to getting it resolved now that the service manager seems to be on my side.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
According to the Subaru Technical Information System website, http://techinfo.subaru.com it’s the 08 & 09 that list the issue.

Go under the Reference Publications tab at the top and then 2008 or 2009, and Tribeca.

Then click on the Subaru Bulletins > Technical Service Bulletins

Towards the bottom is 5AT Torque Converter Shudder/Vibration (225.23 kb) 16-74-09

5AT Torque Converter Shudder/Vibration

Service Bulletin #16-74-09
Pages: 2

Bulletin Description: If you encounter a vehicle that has a shudder/vibration which could be felt in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear during slight acceleration, it may be caused by the transmission torque converter during lockup operation. A countermeasure was made to the final machining process of the sliding surface for the lock up clutch to provide more stabilization and eliminate the shudder/vibration.

This is exactly my issues, I thought it had subsided or reduced but it’s back.

Not sure what their solution is, maybe replace torque converter? I find out.
I've posted the TSB that you are referring to in the TSB section.