2006 b9 transmission swap - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Drivetrain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2006 b9 transmission swap

hello all,

I have an 06 tribeca b9 and the trans slips in 4th and 5th gears. needless to say i want to change the trans since its cheaper then rebuilding it. I found some at the jdm importers near me but the trans codes are different.

my trans code is TG5C9CMAAA-Z4 and one that im looking at has a trans code TG5C7CVAAA.

my questions are
- can i just swap this trans in without any issues? or will the TCU not read it corrently?

- Will i need the TCU from the new trans I am getting?

- is there anything else involved with the trans swap beside the usual unbolting and bolting back on?

I am also swapping out the engine since the head gaskets are fried so i plan to do it all at once.

any help will be highly appreciated as i need to get this car back on the road asap

thanks
jbd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Bump

Bump....

Anyone??????
Old 07-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Unfortunately, you will probably have a hard time finding info on those codes. I know others have posted tables of manual trans codes, but nothing as far as I know has been compiled yet for even 4EATs, much less the 5EAT. All I can say is keep googling. I would guess that if the trans is from an 06 or 07 and has the same final drive ratio, it should be fine. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Subaru Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2017, 05:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

actually service manual has id section, looking at the pic below, im going to guess that transmission itself will fit and probably work, but since its not for a tribeca your speedo will be off, these numbers should match TG5C9CM, basically match first 7 and you are good, the one for the outback probably has different gear ratios so you'd need a matching diff as well.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, unfortunately that chart does not specify the final drive ratio of the transmission. You can, of course see it on the rear diff section, but it still doesn't help to ID the mystery transmission. From what I've read, if you change the final drive ratio on a Tribeca, it will sense a discrepancy between the ABS sensors and transmission, and throw a code.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

A 5eat should be relatively easy to from a local salvage yard. However, verifying the diff ratios for the outback shouldn't be too hard either. Try subaruoutback.org I am sure the ratios are posted up somewhere there.
FLsubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

According to my Legacy/Outback FSM diff ratio for the 5eat is 3.083, so the outback gearing would be better on the highway.

Last edited by FLsubies; 07-21-2017 at 03:22 PM.
FLsubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

My concern is not with the ratio. I want to make sure that electronically everything will match up. For ex. would I need the TCU from a different # trans or will the one I have in the tribeca now work with another trans?

Ideally I would want the same one but if that can?t happen I just want to know that I will be ok with just swapping the trans in and not have a surprise where it?s not working properly and I wasted my money.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, you'd be blazing new territory for sure with a JDM because those numbers are different than USDM, even if the trans is identical. Ratio needs to stay the same. As was said, you would have to swap the rear end as well. Pretty sure someone tried it the other way, a Tribeca trans in an Outback, and even though they matched the rear end, the discrepancy between the ABS and trans sensors threw a code and disabled traction control and ABS. I would search cars.com for as low mileage direct replacement for the least amount of headaches. If you're up for a challenge though... Theoretically, your valve body and trans harness SHOULD swap into a JDM of equal generation Tribeca, in worst case if the JDM electricals don't play together with yours... in theory, of course.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
avk

There's also a gear ratio for the transfer mechanism. It's most likely 1:1 for all VDC-equipped transmissions, but you need documented proof before purchasing any non-standard unit.
avk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

There are many broken 06 and 07s... Just start calling recyclers around you.
nribs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 b9, head gasket, swap, tcu, transmission