Transmission and Diff fluid changes - Page 4 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Drivetrain

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 07:40 AM   #61 (permalink)
avk

"By the book" means drain and fill.
avk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #62 (permalink)

That means it's absolutely the right thing to do.

There are shops who do a flush with some new super-duper turbo-charged, fuel-injected, high power, flusher. (Might have exaggerated the type) If it was a shop I knew I could trust for
1) Doing only necessary maintenance
2) Doing good work
3) Backing their work with responsibility for anything that goes wrong as a result of this

and it wasn't expensive, I'd have to think it over.
Some places use this as a gimmick to make money. I'd never do business with that kind of shop anyway, but I'd have to see some independent review of the flushing system before I'd say OK even to a good repair shop.

Flushing might get rid of metal shavings and that would prolong life of the transmission , but it could also kick those into the places they never would have gone and cause worse wear or interfere with flow. 12 quarts means there is a lot of flow.

On second thought, flushing is a REALLY bad idea . Too chancey.
drbrousters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #63 (permalink)

There are two kinds of flushing:
1) Machine flush at a shop
2) Home flush using the transmission's pump

I would never do 1 because you don't know the fluid in there. I agree, it's risky.

I have done 2 on two different subarus using OEM ATF-HP. Helped both cars shift smoother to some degree. The first time I did it on my 05 XT it helped with the 1-2nd shift shock when cold. Car had 100k on original fluid. The 2nd time I did it on my Tribeca that had previously had transmission fluid changed at a 'quick lube' place by previous owner. No idea what was in there, but smelled like and looked gear oil. Shifting was improved, 20k miles go, continues to have a nice smooth transmission.

That's my direct experience. I can't fault people for doing just a drain and fill, but in my case with delayed service in the first one and unknown fluid in the 2nd one, I have had good luck doing it this way.

I personally will continue to do the full fluid exchange every 60k on my automatic transmissions with OEM fluid.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #64 (permalink)

My 06 calls for 10.1-10.6 quarts of fluid. Not sure if the other years use the "12" quarts cited.
06 7 str. Ltd Sa Wht Prl 170k, JDM Eng 48k, blk lea, OEM rub mats, puddle lts, 7 str cgo tray, cgo nets, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low bms, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drn Plg, RT6 5-40, M1 75-90 Diffs, Valvoline Import MV ATF, Bfld Ctch Cns w/ drn, PK GL Lifetime w/ SCC, SUM - 255/55/18 Firestone Dest LE2s on Drk Gry Plastidipped Stockers WNTR - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s, MNRF defl, SLTD/DRLD rotors cer pads
06b9beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #65 (permalink)

I did 3 consecutive drain and fills at 4 qts a each. The fluid was very clean in any case but definitely losing its redness. I didn't trust myself to do the flush method personally but if you can do it that sounds like a good method.
FLsubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #66 (permalink)

I got a bit less than 3 out in one change but that's probably because I left it on ramps. Guess I'll have to do 4 consecutive drains if I keep doing it like that. Yuck!
06 7 str. Ltd Sa Wht Prl 170k, JDM Eng 48k, blk lea, OEM rub mats, puddle lts, 7 str cgo tray, cgo nets, Audiovox 13.3" overhead DVD player, FM Trans, Osram Rallye 65W low bms, Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT, Mishimoto Oil Drn Plg, RT6 5-40, M1 75-90 Diffs, Valvoline Import MV ATF, Bfld Ctch Cns w/ drn, PK GL Lifetime w/ SCC, SUM - 255/55/18 Firestone Dest LE2s on Drk Gry Plastidipped Stockers WNTR - Hankook Icept Evo2 SUV 235/65/17s on Gunmetal Drag DR-62s, MNRF defl, SLTD/DRLD rotors cer pads
Old 11-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #67 (permalink)
avk

It's not too hard to drain the transmission with wheels on the ground, with steering wheel turned all the way to the right to help you crawl under. I now have a Fumoto valve there to make it easier. The thread size is M18.
06b9beca likes this.
avk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
It's not too hard to drain the transmission with wheels on the ground, with steering wheel turned all the way to the right to help you crawl under. I now have a Fumoto valve there to make it easier. The thread size is M18.
Thanks for that. Maybe I can get away with another 2 changes this way. I was kind of unfamiliar with the location. So different and yet the same as my FXT.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:36 AM   #69 (permalink)

Default don't forget to replace the tranny filter

I do the drain and fill method.

the tranny filter is no big deal. I replaced my transmission filter at about 150 k and it was filthy when I cut it open to inspect.

you have to unbutton 1/2 of the bumper cover on driver side about to access filter
Did full 60,000 service, ipod addition, rubber sway bar bushings, generic sepentine pulleys,Lexus 460x silicone wipers,thermoquietpads,tranny filter thru bumper cover. Thank you all
tribecadean is offline   Reply With Quote