Transmission and Diff fluid changes - Page 2 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Drivetrain

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 03:38 AM   #21 (permalink)

I like the 15k tranny fluid drain/fill schedule. I do the same myself. Plugs are tougher, because while some folks like to change them at 30k whether they need to be changed or not, others like to pull em and check at 30k...only replacing if necessary. If you want to go the second route, pull and inspect at 30k, then every 10k or so after that.

Diff fluid should be replaced every 30k miles, unless you do a lot of towing. If you do, replace it every 15k.

Coolant should be replaced every 30k at least, especially given that you live in such a warm climate.

Oil change - if you drive hard - should be every 3750. If you drive gently, or if you use synthetic oil, you can make 5k miles easily.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks for reply.
The coolant is for 11 years FOR the 3.6l engine?!?!
PLUGS, one schedule says to replace at 30 and the other at 60 for the 09 beca.
Drain and fill sounds better then flush on multiple forums, wonder how many quarts the 3.6l tranny holds total and how many we actually get out in drain and fill?

Keep it coming guys, know I have the 3.6l 09 model so that might matter on schedule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
I like the 15k tranny fluid drain/fill schedule. I do the same myself. Plugs are tougher, because while some folks like to change them at 30k whether they need to be changed or not, others like to pull em and check at 30k...only replacing if necessary. If you want to go the second route, pull and inspect at 30k, then every 10k or so after that.

Diff fluid should be replaced every 30k miles, unless you do a lot of towing. If you do, replace it every 15k.

Coolant should be replaced every 30k at least, especially given that you live in such a warm climate.

Oil change - if you drive hard - should be every 3750. If you drive gently, or if you use synthetic oil, you can make 5k miles easily.
LORE BECA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORE BECA
wonder how many quarts the 3.6l tranny holds total
Your manual will tell you what the fluid capacity of the transmission is. Check the tables in the back...look for "Specifications."
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #24 (permalink)

Will Do.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #25 (permalink)

So...let's assume I went to Wal-Mart to get tranny fluid for my 08, what fluid is appropriate?

Thanks!
Flatsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #26 (permalink)

STICK to SUBARU ONLY TRANNY FLUID.
Unless you want problems like slipping and if something happens to your transmission and they find you are using other fluid, VOID WARRANTY.

I WOULD RATHER PAY A FEW EXTRA BUCKS FOR CORRECT FLUID, i.m.h.o.!
Old 08-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #27 (permalink)

Hearing a lot about changing the tranny fluid but no one is mentioning the filter - has anyone done it? Dealer wants $30 for the filter, the FSM says I need to remove the front bumper to replace it but also interesting that the retail parts places have the filter too.

anyone ever done this and do I HAVE to remove the bumper?

C
chrisinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #28 (permalink)

4qts Subaru HP ATF fluid + ATF filter from dealer (mind you parts places sell them too) $61. The filter was $31 - it appears very similar in size to the oil filter. Will change before we head out on vacation and let everyone know how it goes, hoping I can drop the lower cover and not remove the whole bumper to get to it, but who knows!

C
Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

I realized that I HAVE iridium plugs in the 09, how often should they be changed REALISTICALLY?
Old 08-19-2009, 05:56 AM   #30 (permalink)

Well.....

First off - changed the fluid - old looked good but was a bit high on the stick when looking at it cold and hot. I added less than 3.25 qt's back in after draining and it was STILL high hot/cold. After getting it just about right the shifting is better (I had the hard 1-2 shift issue).

The filter however - I'm headed on vacation in a few days, couldn't find it, and not about to take the front bumper off looking for it. I also found that supposedly the filter is a "lifetime" part, only needing replaced if it rusts or is damaged.

C
Old 08-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #31 (permalink)

Call dealer and ask tech if they change filter as the norm when doing transmission fluid service, if not every time then when if at all?
S.O.A. tech phone call should also give you official responce, even through e mail.
That should tell you something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinky
Well.....

First off - changed the fluid - old looked good but was a bit high on the stick when looking at it cold and hot. I added less than 3.25 qt's back in after draining and it was STILL high hot/cold. After getting it just about right the shifting is better (I had the hard 1-2 shift issue).

The filter however - I'm headed on vacation in a few days, couldn't find it, and not about to take the front bumper off looking for it. I also found that supposedly the filter is a "lifetime" part, only needing replaced if it rusts or is damaged.

C
Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #32 (permalink)

It's a piece of cake.... not nearly as big of a deal as this thread has made it out to be.

Drain the pan..... change the filter, fill the tranny. Done.

The filter is a remote unit, located on the front side of the Driver front wheelwell. It's as easy as an oil change
1994 SVX LSi - restored, 100% original
Co-Founder / Site Admin: www.slcsubaru.com
ninefourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:19 PM   #33 (permalink)

Default Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORE BECA
I realized that I HAVE iridium plugs in the 09, how often should they be changed REALISTICALLY?
They're supposed to have a life of 100,000mi but realistically it varies.

A big factor is going to inculde driving conditions and quality of gas you use.
That is to say in areas where air temps run hotter or there is high humidity (both being the worst combination) you likely won't get as long a life as you might otherwise.

Using crappy quality gas or gas that contains some contaminants (due to condition of delivery trucks, age of storage tanks etc...) on a regular basis you'll probably see a shorter life on the plugs..

Personally I would look at changing them around 65-75k and I'd likely do the wires at the same time (barring signs of wear prior)
Rotorflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #34 (permalink)

Is the transmission filter supposed to be changed?

One dealer said never unless its rusted or dirty according to SUBARU, another said at 90,000 miles and a third said it should at the 30,000 mile interval change. Another dealer said the interval is 15,000 miles in our Texas hot climate.

Which one do you believe regarding tranny filter replacement?

Just tranny fluid drain and fill runs 90 bucks, with filter its almost double.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:36 PM   #35 (permalink)

The first thing I would do is contact SOA directly and ask them what they recommend, then depending on their answer, I'd go from there.

I can say that I wouldn't even take my vehicle to the dealer that suggested it needed to be changed every 15k.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinky
C
I did an ATF drain and fill today (3.5 qts Subaru ATF-HP) I couldn't find the ATF filter either... (I did not remove the front bumper though). I will repeat the drain and fill in a week or so, because the old ATF was pretty darkish rust colored (and I have had some occational slipping transmission issues lately, between 2nd and 3rd), so I am gonna repeat it a few times, to change most of the old fluid out.

Now, anyone that actually knows the precise location of the ATF filter and how to access it without removing the front bumper? Please post!
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorflyr
They're supposed to have a life of 100,000mi but realistically it varies...
Personally I would look at changing them around 65-75k and I'd likely do the wires at the same time (barring signs of wear prior)
Because I'm about to head to Glacier National Park (see articles about "Going to the Sun Road), I just had a 60,000 service done at 54,000 by the guys who do all my mechanical work. I intended to have the plugs changed. The guy told me the recommended interval is 90,000 on the 3.0 and mine showed no signs of wear...and it runs great.

I run Costco Premium, 76 Premium, or Chevron mid-grade or Premium in the car, but have only had it for a few thousand miles. My mechanic told me to run Premium because it recommends it and there is nothing currently harder on a car than poor grade gasoline. He states that if you work on a car that has run cheap gas (and you WILL need it worked on), it will cure you of ever using it.
I heard this same thing about Penzoil from mechanics...told me there is so much parafin in the oil that it always turns to sludge. I suspect that their synthetic oils are a different story.

There is a guy here that was trained by/worked for Subaru for many years and opened his own "Subaru Only" shop. I'm going to go by there today to ask about "the Transmission ECU flash." The dealer told me they'd do it, but it wasn't a good idea -my B9 isn't under warrantee. Odd response. I'm going for a 2nd opinion.

Last edited by drbrousters; 07-23-2010 at 12:41 PM.
drbrousters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:45 AM   #38 (permalink)

So, as suspected, the non-dealer shop says that Subaru develops and releases the latest software for it's Transmission ECU on an ongoing basis. They basically refine, adjust, and "make better" how the transmission operates. He had no idea why the dealer would indicate updating the transmission software was a bad idea.
His opinion is that later software is better software. Makes sense to me...
I wonder if the same is true for the Engine ECU.
Didn't think of that till now.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #39 (permalink)

Just got back from the software upgrades -they did the engine too at no additional charge.
Noticed difference immediately. Engine smoother, smoother starts and gear changes. ????more pep??? I haven't had it on the highway yet.
Well worth the $75 and tax.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #40 (permalink)

What year Tribeca do you have?