Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Vibration under low Acceleration

82K views 143 replies 47 participants last post by  MicBert 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Had my 08 w/DVD & NAV since January. For the last few months I've noticed a vibration when under low acceleration. Anywhere from 60-80 KM's or 35-50MPH If the acceleration is around 5-10% (on the display) the vehicle vibrates. Don't feel it in the steering wheel so I'm assuming it's in the backend (feel it throughout the vehicle though)

Feels similar to when a manual transmission is shifted into a higher gear too early. Was just at the dealer but did not bother asking, thought it better to check with my brothers and sisters here to get an idea before I pay for some inspection.

Let me know if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks.

#77 ·
great news

Two days after presenting the problem to local subaru dealer I received a phone call from local subaru dealer stating "Bring car in and Subaru will supply and fit a new converter'.:)

Will be one happy chook if this all works out.

Will post following repair but so far so good. (Subby Australia seem to have better grasp of problem than canadian friends)

#79 ·
Shudder GONE

A couple of months since last entry. I have driven a 1000km or so since new Torque Converter fitted and......... NO shudder. Yeah one happy chook. I am very pleased with the car now. When driving you hit the right conditions and you're waiting for the shudder which doesn't happen. :)

Thanks True Blue for your help and also thanks to this site for giving me the knowledge to help solve the problem.

You could ask why the issue was never made a recall? but hey, I must complement Subura for there quick remedy to my concerns (one year out of warranty) after I approached them with the issue.

#85 ·
Thought I'd bump this back up instead of making a new thread. Were you guys getting a tinny metallic rattle or more of a deep loud rattle that could be heard from outside the car?

My car drives fine, no vibration or shutter, but makes a loud rattle/resonating sound at low speeds when giving gas. I can replicate it when reversing over a speed bump and giving it a quick tap of the throttle.

I have 2 months until my powertrain warranty is out, but if it turns out to be something not covered I'm out $165 just to look at it. If it turns out to be a tranny problem later I'll kick myself, but don't want to waste time and money on a heat shield. Thanks.

#87 ·
i got a pretty similar problem with my tribeca but this one is 2009 with 130k. i try get in touch with the dealer but no one have seen this problem. i send a email with bulletin for 2008 vibration and shuttler tranny, but tranny code are not corresponding. by this way they not search any further. i just wonder if someone have this problem with a 2009.

#88 ·
Hi fragomaster. The best way to describe the shudder under low acceleration is that it is like driving over a cattle grid (slightly less severe). If you maintain low throttle whilst in the vibration it will remain. If you apply more throttle it will go. I believe it was a machining issue on construction of the trannies. My vibration was there from purchase (28K on odom.) till repairs around 10K later. It didn't get better or worse, just more annoying and easier to replicate.
I took mine to a busy auto transmission shop. I told the guy I thought it was Torque Converter. He scoffed when i said that but then he drove the car and he could replicate vibration on command. He confirmed my diagnosis.

Good luck

#91 ·
Well I get to join the shudder/vibration club with our 08'. 110,000 miles thought wheels were out of balance got new tires balance and alignment and shutter still happens right @ 20mph and 40mph under light load... Car is 1 year out of warranty... anyone know how much it costs or if they will fix this out of warranty?

#96 ·
As I posted some time ago, I had this problem and was solved downloading a new gearbox software. I showed the dealer the post on Subaru's web and after they did some research, they were told by the manufacturer to do that.

I noticed the difference was a different setting of the gearbox operation, probably avoiding some speed/gears or conditions.
I´ve felt the vibration again a few times, but it was barely noticeable.
I´ve driven 60.000 miles since the repair.

#99 ·
Very obvious their's a problem .Honda & other Manufactures don't wait so long.
Thought I'd chime in and say that you're wrong, they all do this.

Honda finally accepted that there was a problem with the Odyssey's transmission (the older 4 speed) and did a recall. The problem was that the cooling system was inadequate. So what do they do? Just chuck the exact same, faulty transmission in it. My parents had their replaced at 90,000 miles under the recall (the old one shifted a bit poorly, but worked fine). The next one lasted less than 70 before completely blowing up. Honda of America did absolutely nothing about it, and the dealership wanted over $4000 to repair/replace the recall transmission. That's not acknowledging the problem, that's just putting a band-aid on it by clearing out old, bad parts out of the warehouse. It was a self-serving solution that didn't benefit the owners.

Subaru really should be better about this stuff as they are a company that strives to be better, but accountants calculate the cost vs. benefit of these sorts of issues and the consumers came out on that bad end of the math on this one.

At this point (because I know I'm bumping an old thread) Subaru isn't putting the 5EAT in anything anymore, so I doubt they're going to do much about the issue.

#100 ·
anyone added anti-shudder transmission oil treatment?

Hi guys & gals

My 08 Tribeca developed the dredded shudder at 118,000 kilometres... the Hamilton Subaru dealer has done everything said in this post to avoid helping, including claiming US TSBs do not apply in Canada.... they checked the tranny and said it needs to be replaced for $4,000. I pressed him on where this alleged "new" tranny would come from and he said a rebuilt unit from Scarborough Engines, not a new OEM. I said "No way", its the torque converter not the entire tranny.... $1040 for a new TC and $650 to install at the dealer I was quoted.

Now, it developed the shudder after getting a trans oil change at a fast lube place (first change) but they used Valvoline and not Subaru/Castrol as per spec... I followed up with the fast lube and they only changed 5L, leaving 4L old oil behind. Hamilton Subaru told me they do the same as they do not have the equipment to flush and he told me they also add an oil treatment... what the hell?

So maybe the wrong oil with 4 litres of 118k old oil is causing the shudder as the clutch plates don't fully lock up.... I am taking it to Buds Subaru in Oakville who told me they do a full power flush and replace all 9L.... will report back.

Now there are pruducts like Wynn’s® Shudderguard
http://www.wynns.co.nz/wynns-product.php?n=1&g=2&s=18&id=56

and Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-250/Dr.+Tranny+Instant+Shudder+Fixx

Has anyone used these products and do they work, at least temporarily?

Chuck

#101 ·
I would just get Subaru ATF in there STAT. Don't go messing around with additives or any of that stuff.

They also overquoted you on the cost of the torque converter, IMO. I ran the part # through the Trademotion catalog and it came out at around $550 (American).

#102 ·
I would just get Subaru ATF in there STAT. Don't go messing around with additives or any of that stuff.

They also overquoted you on the cost of the torque converter, IMO. I ran the part # through the Trademotion catalog and it came out at around $550 (American).
Hi guys... had the Subaru dealer flush all fluid and replace with spec oil ($210 CND). The shudder is still there. The dealer does not want to replace the torque converter, they want to replace the whole transmission with a rebuilt unit. The dealer said Subaru Canada will not help with the cost because it 117,000 km and that over warranty, but I raised the TSB and gave him a copy. His responded was that it is a USA TSB and does not apply to Canada...
I am going to try the anti-shudder additive as there is nothing to loose now.
Any advice from the members?

#110 ·
Good news at least for now. I used Dr. Tranny Shudder Fix also sold as "Lubeguard"... no retailer had it in Ontario so I bought a tube from a tranny place for $15 (big mark-up), the tech there said they have good results with it.
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-250/Dr.+Tranny+Instant+Shudder+Fixx
http://www.amazon.ca/Lubegard-19610-Instant-Friction-Modifier/dp/B0002JMLQU

I spoke with several transmission repair shop techs and they all seem to use this or similar products. They stressed you need to get the additive it as soon as it starts to shudder otherwise damage may occur to the TC.(not sure how and why)

Put it in 2 days ago and have been driving around a fair bit between 40 kph and 80 kph (50 mph) and no shudder yet. I used to be able to make the shudder start on command by modulating the gas pedal but can't now. And it was shudder a lot before the additive.

I will report to this list over time (in at 120,000 km). If I can get a year out of this I will be happy.

Chuck

#107 · (Edited)

Ah, interesting, there is a very clear diagnostic step to verify it's the torque converter. I would hope the shop would do the steps listed in this TSB:

http://www.sb9t.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9913&postcount=1

That is proof positive it's the torque converter that needs to be replaced. It shouldn't cost more than $100 to get them to run this diagnostic.

There is also FreeSSM. I know it has some access to the TCU, but I'm not sure if it can get these parameters. If you want to do this yourself, check out http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...426-freessm-complete-access-your-ecm-tcu.html

Tom

#108 ·
Hmm.. Free SSM shows it has

1. Turbine revolution speed
2. Gear Position
3. Engine Speed

It does not seem to have lockup solenoid indicator current, but does have Lock up duty ratio.

It does not seem to have lockup solenoid pressure, but does have Line Pressure duty ratio.

Not sure how to translate the last two in to what the TSB is asking. FSM probably has the answer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.