LED Bulbs instead of HID? - Page 3 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Exterior / Styling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #41 (permalink)

I just installed these AuxBeam LEDs on my 08 Tribeca, replacing the old halogen low beams. I don't know if anyone else has this problem but my Tribeca seems to eat halogens. I seem to be replacing the low beams every 6 months. Install seemed very easy, no harder than replacing regular halogens. Hope these last. Haven't tried them at night yet. Had to remove the nut on the end in order to get them to fit. I actually think they act more like a heat sink then purely as decoration, but shouldn't affect them too much not having it on.
heavychemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017, 05:19 AM   #42 (permalink)

Has anyone done the full conversion to LED? (high beam/DRL and fog lights)
Old 02-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavychemist View Post
Has anyone done the full conversion to LED? (high beam/DRL and fog lights)
Have you tested the LED bulbs at night yet? How do you like them? Thinking of doing this upgrade.
powerkmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerkmac View Post
Have you tested the LED bulbs at night yet? How do you like them? Thinking of doing this upgrade.
Seems quite nice at night. Still haven't done a lot of night driving but in the city they work fine. Thinking of switching out all the lights up front to LED. Definitely like the colour and brightness. Let's just say I won't switch back to halogens. I just hope that they last longer than the halogens.

That being said, light coverage is a little different. Halogens shine 360°C while these bulbs are split down the middle. I'll try to post a picture so you see what I mean.

I thought of buying these LED headlights but was a little afraid of the size of the heat sink and fan. Didn't know if I could get the dust cover back on, but after installing the Auxbeams I'm sure that they would fit too.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #45 (permalink)

Thx for the write up. Do you think the cap is necessary on top of the led? I took it off to make it fit. I didn't want to retro fit the light in fear of damaging it.
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staatus Quo View Post
So I was wrong. I parked backed in today, and bombarded my neighbors with light. My LED's make it down my driveway (about 4ish car lengths) across the road, and hit the neighbors garage. Mind you, their garage is uphill a bit, and about 6-7 car lengths.

First time really looking at them not hitting my wife's or my summer car in our driveway. I'm impressed.

Is this strickly the low beams or with other lights.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhinchey View Post
Is this strickly the low beams or with other lights.
This was my low beams in the picture with fogs, but as you know, the fogs don't throw anywhere near enough to contaminate what you're seeing in the distance.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:30 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staatus Quo View Post
This was my low beams in the picture with fogs, but as you know, the fogs don't throw anywhere near enough to contaminate what you're seeing in the distance.
Awesome. Any ideas for what to install in the fog lights?
I think I have HIDS in my fogs. I can't tell. I do have little boxes that the lights wired too. I have not removed them since they work fine. However, on one side they are lose in the box and go out until I recrimp them. Is the box a sure way to tell these are HIDS or can they just be some other form of lights using the box as a resistor of some sort? Eventually , I want to replace these (I have to rrecrimp them after hitting some large bumps) and would like to just swap what is in there for frmear that the previous owner screws up the wiring. Any ideas for this matter would be great.
To add, the little boxes attached to the bumper with velcro has no wording on it that I can tell what they are.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:34 AM   #49 (permalink)

Your lenses must be super clean. I haven't gotten around to wet sanding and polishing them so they are a bit cloudy. Not yellow just a tad cloudy. I am using the same light as you and followed your diagrams. So Thank you.
What did you do to get the bulbs to fit in the lens? Did you remove the cap from the led? Mod the lens hole? Or shave the tops of the led?
Old 03-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Your lenses must be super clean. I haven't gotten around to wet sanding and polishing them so they are a bit cloudy. Not yellow just a tad cloudy. I am using the same light as you and followed your diagrams. So Thank you.
What did you do to get the bulbs to fit in the lens? Did you remove the cap from the led? Mod the lens hole? Or shave the tops of the led?
I removed the cap from the LED. I needed to install after another blown halogen bulb. I wasn't going to mod the lens hole. Thought about drilling it out for a nanosecond and then quickly dismissed it.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #51 (permalink)

I contacted the company and they said I shouldn't remove anything from the led light. Oh well. I'm not taking them back out and modding the headlightlight to make these fit.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:41 AM   #52 (permalink)

I have both low and high HID .Korean Maxlux in 4300k .Not any problem till now . They are awesome.Tonnes of light on the street.
yiannischris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:22 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
I contacted the company and they said I shouldn't remove anything from the led light. Oh well. I'm not taking them back out and modding the headlightlight to make these fit.
Agreed. I guess time will tell how long these LED's will last. There are other LEDs out there that are very similar in design that don't have this extra nut on the end. Maybe their fans are more efficient? Maybe they have more copper than aluminum for better heat dissipation? One thing I am going to do is mod the dust cover. I have access to 3D printers at work. I'm planning on printing dust covers that leave a larger void space behind the lights.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:15 PM   #54 (permalink)

Front view !!
yiannischris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #55 (permalink)

Wow. They are some crystal clear headlamps. Nice. The lights are super bright. Anyone ever flash their headlights at you to turn them down?
Old 03-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #56 (permalink)

Here is a report from the company Auxlight stating that their warranty will not be affected if the top twist cap is removed to help make them fit the headlight lens. Removing that cap is a much better idea IMHO than modding the lens.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #57 (permalink)

Update on these. I installed the Auxbeams back in August, and today in the drive thru for coffee this morning I heard a loud hum. Sure enough, the passenger side bulb was dead. When I got to work I checked what was going on. The passenger side was the loud hum, and the lens was vibrating when I touched it, while the driver side was A-OK. The short of it is; the fan has failed. I purposely torture tested these by re-installing the dust caps with all the wires and transformers inside the lens, so that no extra space was taken up, and no holes were drilled in dust caps.

I'm not saying the enclosed space caused the fan to fail, but I suspect this may have helped to cause premature failure. I'm going to contact them asking for a replacement set since it is a one year warranty. I'll follow up with how it goes.

Tags
headlight, led