LED Bulbs instead of HID? - Page 2 - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > Exterior / Styling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staatus Quo View Post
And since you wanted some pics of the light in the housing, here is a bit of a write up.

I removed the slam panel simply because I wanted to have easy access to the bulbs since these bulbs have a two piece install.

Pull the two air snorkel clips with a pry tool or flat head:

Pull the two piece clips out of the slam panel. Use a pry tool or flat head to pull up the center plug, then pry under it and pull all 9 plugs out:

Next is the two bolts holding the top of the light:

After that is three bolts on the bottom. Since mine were already removed, and I didn't want to recreate it, you'll just see the 3 bolt holes. But, if you pull the clips on the wheel well splash guard, you can access the bottom bolts which are located:

Next you want to unplug the headlight wire harness just behind the housing:

Quarter turn to remove the dust guard after you remove the whole assembly:

Once inside, there is a metal clip, DO NOT UNSCREW THE SMALL SCREWS! Just push the side of the clip with one screw in and down and it springs free. Remove the bulb, and put the collar of the new LED into the housing and close the clip. Then the LED bulb will slide into the collar and quarter turn to lock in place.

Here is the LED collar:

Here is kind of what the clip will look like if you're not familiar:

And finally the LED installed. There are two kinds of LED, one is a fan style (the one I chose) or there is a ribbon style, which has lots of metal ribbons hanging off the end. I didn't want to go this way, because I wanted to reseal the dust cap. I have since pushed the LED chip set into the housing and put the dust cap back on as these don't get intensely hot. I think part of the reason is the B9 has a very deep and large housing. Here is my bulb and the chip set in the housing:

And then it is a matter of putting it back together in reverse. Do leave out the bottom 3 bolts from the lights. Two have held my housing in place just fine.

Also, with the passenger side light out, you have enough room to do the air box silencer mod if you want. I got nervous and didn't turn the silencer enough to remove it, so I went and pulled the air box off. But there is more than enough room to pull the silencer off once the passenger light is removed.

Nicely executed. Thank you for the pictures. Something I may have to do. I have to add that to the plugs purchase.
Now, the next thing I have to go and search for is this "Air box silencer mod?"
H3TRIH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #22 (permalink)

H3TRIH3, maybe I'll make a picture thread on that too. There is a video of it, but using the video while trying to do it and backing up the vid is kind of a pain. Give me a few minutes and I'll see what I can do.
Staatus Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #23 (permalink)

And there you go H3TRIH3, I made a how-to on the silencer mod over on the engine and performance section of the forum. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
And there you go H3TRIH3, I made a how-to on the silencer mod over on the engine and performance section of the forum. Enjoy!
Man, you weren't kidding. Thank you!!! Totally appreciate that. I'll have to review it and maybe pop my head in the engine compartment this weekend.
Again, that was awesome of you to post.

Oh and yeah, watching a youtube video on my phone, pausing and rewinding while working on vehicles is not the wisest thing to do, ask me how I know
H3TRIH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #25 (permalink)

Just did this mod yesterday to my 2014 after one of the low beams blew last week. What a royal pain in the butt to change out the low beams!!!

I left the lights in the vehicle. Removed the airbox and battery for access to the covers and just worked like that. I used a dremel to enlarge the holes in the headlight housing enough so that the LED unit slipped in.

Fan cooled is definitely the way to go. Got my lights from Cyclops Adventure Motorsports. I have his lights on my motorcycle. Best support anywhere. No cheap Chinese knock offs and he does a lot of research into his lights. Always bringing out new, brighter models.

The aux lights on my motorcycle shine out 900ft!

I'll be changing the high beams and the fog lights soon for LED's.

Edit: One thing I have noticed.... When I go to high beam, the LED low beam stays on. With the old halogens, I didn't notice of low beam went off or not, but normally it should. Low beam and High beam should be two totally separate circuits, so do all Becca's do this???

Last edited by Graham.A; 09-18-2016 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Added info
Graham.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #26 (permalink)

I don't know if this was true with the older B6 variants, but with the 08+, yes, the low-beams supplement the highs, when the latter are triggered.

The fogs, if engaged, are turned off when the highs are engaged, to keep the vehicle in-line with many states' forward lighting laws.
TSiWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #27 (permalink)

Yup, the 06-07 B9 keep the lows on as well, and the fogs turn off once the highs are on.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #28 (permalink)

^ Thanks for that.
TSiWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #29 (permalink)

Yay! Thanks for that! I was going to put a resistor in the low beam line to see if that "fixed it" but I won't now

I'm going to put LED in the fog light too. Haven't figured out how to do high beam without it screwing up the DRL.

Why oh why use the high beam through a resistor as DRL! Why not the park lamp, or low beam on full power!!!!

Curse you Subaru.
Graham.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #30 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

edit: See Staatus Quo's post below about DRL disabling. I was incorrect.

2015 Dodge Charger AWD

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former Subarus:
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback

Last edited by Wiscon_Mark; 09-28-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #31 (permalink)

The DRL disablement is a bit different on the Tribeca's Mark.

06-07

Daytime Running Lights - Disabling?

08+ (Same steps, different wire)

Daytime Running Lights - Disabling?
Old 09-28-2016, 05:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Moderator Elite

Gotcha, thanks for the info!

2015 Dodge Charger AWD

2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 7 passenger w/ Navigation

Former Subarus:
12 Impreza
03 Forester
95 Outback
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #33 (permalink)

I installed hid in my Tribeca about 2 years ago they still work great I did how ever cut the wire to make my drl off in my low beam I've been thinking about getting led lights installed now
subaru222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #34 (permalink)

Wow just installed led ,and took off my hid, such a huge and big difference
subaru222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:03 AM   #35 (permalink)

Encountered a problem with installing LED's. Changed out the H7 and H9 in a 07 Tribeca B( last night and when lighting was checked, everything was good. This morning, after the veh sitting in a heated garage all night, no high beams; centre console lights flashing (4 times in succession); check engine/traction control/ park light symbols on and cruise light flashing. Of course cruise doesn't work either. LED are Canbus functionality. Any suggestions?
pol2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pol2288 View Post
Encountered a problem with installing LED's. Changed out the H7 and H9 in a 07 Tribeca B( last night and when lighting was checked, everything was good. This morning, after the veh sitting in a heated garage all night, no high beams; centre console lights flashing (4 times in succession); check engine/traction control/ park light symbols on and cruise light flashing. Of course cruise doesn't work either. LED are Canbus functionality. Any suggestions?
Are the wires in all the way? Maybe try uninstalling and (1) swapping polarity or (2) swapping sides? I think I remember reading this happened to another member and they uninstalled (or maybe just unplugged) and then tried over again without issue. Good luck!

On another note: for those curious, here's my LED set (same as OP) but I took this picture at dawn (~7am Denver time). I took it more to show beam cut off pattern on a '13 Beca but I also guess it shows light output when it's not fully dark out. I would say that I would like a little bit more intensity from the lights but living in the city it's okay and does the job. Up in the mountains I noticed the hotspotting at the close front of the vehicle but things were still illuminated well though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8135.JPG (428.7 KB, 23 views)
preppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Amazon, and here are the exact ones I bought. I did a lot of research, and these were the best mid ranged priced ones I could find.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as pictures, I was so pissed trying to figure out why the bulb wouldn't fit, and it took me until I pulled out one full headlight assembly to realize it was the cap stopping it. So, I didn't take pictures at all, and it is super sunny out, so no pics of the beam pattern until tonight or tomorrow.
How have these held up?
michaelhinchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #38 (permalink)

Default Led

I just installed Auxbeam LED lights in my high and low last night. They look exactly like the lights in the previous picture. I replaced a set of Putco led lights that cost 160, compared to 50 a set for the Auxbeam. Better yet, the Auxbeam uttterly destroy the Putco lights for a third the price. The low beams and the stupid metal clip suckered so bad, I pulled both headlights and it was still a total fight. I work at a fabrication shop and we do installs, I have probably done hundreds of lights and I hate these the most. With that said, I am very impressed with the light output, by far the best I have seen so far. Did the H11 in the high beam and they destroy the high dollar halogen Hella lights I had in there. To top it off I trimmed the center pillar of the lower grill and installed a 22.5 inch 200w Auxbeam SEIS bar with 5w Philips chips. So impressed and it's flush and clean. Don't use hid, I had nothing but problems with flickering, had to always have them on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170212_033657.jpg (689.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20170211_200251.jpg (910.9 KB, 24 views)
MTtribeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #39 (permalink)

Wow. They are bright.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
H3TRIH3, maybe I'll make a picture thread on that too. There is a video of it, but using the video while trying to do it and backing up the vid is kind of a pain. Give me a few minutes and I'll see what I can do.
Where is that video?

Tags
headlight, led