Replacement key - SB9T.com
SB9T.com

Go Back   SB9T.com > Tribeca Technical > I.C.E./Security

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Replacement key

One of our remotes stopped working. I replaced the battery, checked the connections in the remote yet nothing works. I know these keys can be pretty pricey at the dealership so would like to avoid that if possible.

I do still have the valet key but haven't looked at it to see if that would work as a replacement.

I looked on eBay and Amazon and it appears I can buy a blank one for $70-$95, which is a lot of money for a key. But I believe I'll still have to take it to a dealership to get cut and programmed.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Replacement key and remote

Brien:
I bought a key blank and remote off Ebay as I recall,its been about 6 years ago.

I reprogrammed it myself . It takes patience as the instructions are lengthy as the car will beep as each step is completed.if you error, you start back at beginning.

I think I downloaded instructions off the net somewhere.

I think I may have a printed copy if you can't find it

Dean
Did full 60,000 service, ipod addition, rubber sway bar bushings, generic sepentine pulleys,Lexus 460x silicone wipers,thermoquietpads,tranny filter thru bumper cover. Thank you all
tribecadean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I may be wrong but the early cars had a separate transponder key and a door remote. You may program the remote yourself but the key needs to be encoded. According to my dealer all keys must be encoded at the same time, so if you have three keys, you pay 3X.

Later cars may be similar
Thomasmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok, so stupid question. I have the key and it works, it's the remote that is no longer is working. Can I buy just the remote portion of the key get it reprogrammed and use the same key? The reason I ask is when I look in the remote there appears to be a black piece of metal, maybe even a magnet, in the key housing. Does this have any impact on the operation of the remote, meaning if I got a new housing and remote would it work with the existing key.

This whole thing sucks! I'd be fine not using the remote but whenever I unlock the door with the key after the alarm was set (with my wife's remote) it goes off when the door is opened.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Replacing the fob (door unlock, relock remote) is cheap and easy to program yourself.

The transponder in the key is expensive to replace, and requires dealer or well equipped locksmith to program.

Ebay sells fobs, your manual explains how to reprogram.

The flip key how too's explain the process well, although the details might be slightly different. Here's an example: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2352408
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien View Post

This whole thing sucks! I'd be fine not using the remote but whenever I unlock the door with the key after the alarm was set (with my wife's remote) it goes off when the door is opened.
I have had the exact same situation.... you unlock the door with a key and the alarm goes off. It seems like that happened when I used the spare key -blue plastic ?

When I bought my car in 2011 used from dealer. It came w 1 key and 1 remote.

I bought a key and remote and reprogrammed... however does anyone know the significance of the metal tab with the numeric code? It is attached to my key ring
Did full 60,000 service, ipod addition, rubber sway bar bushings, generic sepentine pulleys,Lexus 460x silicone wipers,thermoquietpads,tranny filter thru bumper cover. Thank you all
tribecadean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

"The immobilizer code is stamped on a metal tag (don't lose this) supplied with the car. When off: a red 'security' light will flash in the center of the instrument panel indicating the car has an anti-theft system.
This light will flash when the car is turned off or the key is removed. It flashes approx. once every 3 seconds, a single flash every 3 seconds.
When a new Immobilizer key is needed, all keys must be present at the dealer because they all must be programmed with the same ID code. You can have 4 keys.
Keep the keys out of water and direct hot sun.
Registration must be carried out when an additional key is purchased or when either a key, ECM (electronic control module, i.e. the brain) or combination meter is replaced. The procedure includes initialization of the system and re-registration of the ID code. Once initialized, the system loses the ID code it has retained so far and has no code until a new code is registered.
ID codes for up to four keys (transponders) can be registered with a car.
Registration is carried out by an authorized dealer using a select monitor and a special program. Access to the program is strictly controlled for reasons of security. The security ID (kept by customer) is required for registration. As the ID code for all registered keys are cleared when registration is started, registration must be performed will all keys including spares handed from the customer.
The keys must be replaced simultaneously if the body integrated unit is replaced."

Tom

Last edited by tdelker; 08-02-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hmm... There appears to be some conflicting info on that ID plate:

"On contacting the Subaru Customer Service, this is the response I got. Hope this email from Subaru helps you with your question.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear xxxxxxx:
Thank you for your email received by Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.
Congratulations on the purchase of your new 2014 Subaru Forester! We certainly appreciate your business and that you chose the Subaru brand for your vehicle needs.
With purchase, you will receive the keys listed on page 2-2 of the Owner's Manual. You will also receive a key number plate. If a key needs replacement, the dealership will need the key number plate and your vehicle identification number.
There is no security code plate provided nor is it necessary for key replacement. The key number plate and VIN are sufficiant for key replacement.
Again, thank you for your contact. If you have any future comments or questions, please contact us again.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)"

From here: Security ID Code? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Old 08-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

tdelker, I downloaded those instructions and will give it a shot over the weekend. Thanks for that info!

Two questions, would it be normal to have to reprogram if the key fob battery was dead for a month? And, will reprogramming this key effect the programmed other key we have?
Old 08-03-2017, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

1) No, the programming is for the car, which stores it in non volatile memory (it doesn't need power to remember it). Only have to reprogram if you are going to replace the fob.

2) The car can only hold 4 fobs in memory, and it uses first in, first out method. That is, if you program 4 fobs in, and then program a 5th, the first fob that you added will be lost.

Use the instructions for fob programming from your user manual, not the website I linked. I found that the tribeca has a slightly different method than other subarus if I remember correctly.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

After comparing my key to my wife's I discovered I had the battery in upside down. After I got done hitting myself in the head... I was good to go.